Description: The Tower and Beeches
Date Listed: 18 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 235934
OS Grid Reference: NZ2606081627
OS Grid Coordinates: 426060, 581627
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1283, -1.5928
BEDLINGTON CHURCH LANE
NZ 2681 NW (East side)
9/63 The Tower and
House, now 2 dwellings. Late C18, extended and altered 1910. Coursed rubble
with tooled or tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; green slate roof
except for blue slates on 1910 south extension. Front elevation 2 + 3 storeys,
4 bays, in 2 sections. Left part set forward; left bay has 2-storey bay window
with paired sash windows; 12-pane upper leaf, plate-glass lower; to right porch
with renewed door, plain overlight and battlemented parapet, with 8-pane sash
above. Hipped roof with corniced ridge stack. On right 3-storey tower with
early C20 bronze sundial in moulded stone surround below 2nd floor 12-pane sash
in alternating-block surround. Corbelled-out battlemented parapet carrying
small corniced stack on right. Right return of tower shows 12-pane sash at 1st
floor level. Recessed right part shows two 8-pane sashes to 1st floor of left
bay; right bay is 1910 extension with altered windows. Roof hipped to right
with 2 ridge stacks, the left rendered, the right stepped-and-corniced.
2-bay left return shows 12-pane sashes in alternating-block surrounds. Rear
elevation with 1910 canted bay.
Interior: open-well stair in tower, with stick balusters and steeply-ramped
Formerly known as Tower Cottage; at one time a school. The tower is said to
have been constructed as an atronomical observatory by a C18 curate.
C20 extension on south is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2606081627
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.