Description: Bothal Castle Welbeck Estate Office and Attached Outbuildings Around Stable Yard
Date Listed: 18 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 235951
OS Grid Reference: NZ2396886535
OS Grid Coordinates: 423968, 586535
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1725, -1.6252
BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE
NZ 2386 (West side)
7/81 Bothal Castle:
Office and attached
Outbuildings, c.1858, incorporating some medieval walling. Tooled stone with
tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Embattled screen
wall runs north from west end of C19 wing attached to castle gatehouse, returning
east and then south; various outbuildings back onto wall: flat-roofed single-
storey office adjacent to wing, L-plan stable block at north-west corner; lower
wall with arched coping links small gabled building with east end of stable.
Boarded doors and double doors, 1- and 2-light windows with small-paned
Medieval masonry is visible externally on the western screen wall; the stable
yard perpetuates the 'Yethouse Court' described in an account of the castle
in 'The Booke of Bothoole Baronye' (1576); the Ogle tower stood at its north-
'Bothal Observed', R. Bibby. Frank Graham, 1973.
Listing NGR: NZ2396686536
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.