If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Callaly Castle
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236123
OS Grid Reference: NU0527009879
OS Grid Coordinates: 405270, 609879
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3829, -1.9184
NU 00 NE
17/36 Callaly Castle
Country house. C14 and later, in particular additions of 1676 by Robert Trollope,
various C15 dates and 1890 by Mr Stephenson of Berwick. For the Clavering
and, after 1877, the Browne family.
Dressed stone and ashlar. Welsh slate roofs.
A very large house, irregular in plan, probably originally of hall and cross wing
plan and now classical in character.
South front: 3 storeys 2:5:1 bays. 5-bay centre with projecting wings. Centre,
probably an older hall range, remodelled by Trollope 1676, central doorway with
Corinthian columns, multi-moulded surround and Tudor-arched lintel inscribed RMC
for Ralph and Mary Clavering. Large, well-carved coat of arms of Ralph Clavering
above, with inscription in frame of strapwork. Dated sundial in ornamental frame
above that. Flanking windows set very close to door. Windows have multi-moulded
surrounds, pulvinated oak-leaf friezes and open pediments framing trophies, dolphins
etc. Top cornice and parapet, added 1749, has cut off the 2nd floor pediments.
12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars.
Projecting wing to left was a pele tower; walls 7ft thick refaced 1749 in ashlar
with sash windows in architraves. West wall rebuilt c1840. Dated sundial in
Projecting wing to right is dated 1707 and has windows in architraves with finely
detailed wedge lintels. Clavering coat of arms in parapet. However this wing
seems older, walls 4ft thick and old masonry in east wall (cf morning room interior)
East front: In 2 sections. 3-storey, 6-bay section to left has slightly projecting
ashlar centre of 1750 with Venetian doorway and 2 Venetian windows above. Older
masonry to left of door and 12-pane sash windows, largely with thick glazing bars
in flat raised surrounds. Right of this the ballroom and museum wing, large
additions of 1890 - an exact copy of the detail of the Trollope building.
West or Central front: has the former tower projecting to right, a projecting
wing of 1836, heightened and altered 1893, on left and a 4-bay centre. Doorway,
squeezed into corner on right, dated 1727 in Gibbs surround, the keystone, carved
with Clavering arms and an angel, surmounted by decorative finial. Slightly later
Venetian window over with thick glazing bars. Ground and first floor windows are
replacements of 1836 in raised surrounds. 2nd floor has original narrower windows
in moulded surrounds, the centre one carved with foliage. North wall of wing to
right, ie rear of tower and Trollope wing, has blocked early C18 2-storey, 3-bay
loggia with round arches of Vanbrughian character.
Irregular hipped and gabled roofs with many corniced stacks. interior: The Drawing
room is the principal room, elaborately redecorated by Italian Sdiccatori in the
Roccoce style in 1757. James Paine may have been the designer. The room is 2-
storeys high with coved ceiling. It has balconies at each end supported by marble
Tuscan columns and with balustrades in 'Chinese Chippendale' style with Gothick
Other rooms: Staircase of c1720-30 with turned balusters and square knobs, lit
by Venetian window with Corinthian detail.
Smoking room: redecorated c1840 in French style with marble fireplace and niches.
Clavering crest in ceiling.
Front hall has screen of two fluted columns with elliptical arches.
Pavilion: Late Victorian with cast iron balconies and 4-storey cast-iron spiral
Morning room: 2 pieces of Elizabethan panelling found behind early C18 panelling in
1934 are now preserved in the pavilion.
The late C19 north wing is not of the same special quality as the rest of the
Northumberland County History Vol XIV. Callaly Castle, Garden and Grounds :
Major A S C Browne: 1985.
Listing NGR: NU0527009879
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.