Description: Codger Fort
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236299
OS Grid Reference: NZ0445690113
OS Grid Coordinates: 404456, 590113
Latitude/Longitude: 55.2053, -1.9315
ROTHLEY B 6342
NZ 09 SW
12/58 Codger Fort
(formerly listed as
Cadger's Fort or Cadger Castle)
Folly c.1770 by Thomas Wright for Sir Walter Blackett. Large blocks of roughly-
dressed stone. A triangular bastion c.30 yards long with a square-plan
projection at the apex. The wall is c.8 ft. high, with 16 gun loops. The
front of the square projection has 3 crenellations.
The wall ends in 2 turrets c.6 ft. square with doorways on inner returns,
rough projecting cornices and rough, stone pyramidal roofs. They are c.15 ft.
The fort stands on cliffs in a dramatic position and was formerly thought
to be a defence of c.1746 against possible Jacobite invasion. However, a
design of 1769 signed by Thomas Wright of Durham, and held at Wallington seems
to disprove this.
J. Macaulay: The Gothick Revival 1745-1845: 1975 BLACKIE, LONDON AND GLASGOW.
TYNE & WEAR COUNTY COUNCIL MUSEUMS: Capability Brown and the Northern Landscape:
Exhibition Catalogue: 1983.
Listing NGR: NZ0445690113
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.