Description: Wall, Arbour and Base of Tower Attached to South of Whitton Grange
Date Listed: 29 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 236333
OS Grid Reference: NU0578001145
OS Grid Coordinates: 405780, 601145
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3044, -1.9105
NU 00 SE
4/94 Wall, arbour and
base of tower
attached to south
of Whitton Grange
Wall, gateway, arbour and remains of towerhouse. Medieval and 1921 by Robert
Mauchlen. Re-used old stone.
To left wall c.9 ft. high with round-headed doorway and boarded door. Flat
Similar walling projects on right and contains arbour in form of segmental
recess with re-used chamfered lintel inscribed S E 1706, supported on shaped
Attached to rear, the lower part of one wall of a tower house with very thick
wall. The lower courses of the basement vault are visible. Also to rear,
built into 1921 wall, a C14 piscina with trefoiled head and petalled drain.
Listing NGR: NU0578001145
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.