If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 31 December 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 236453
OS Grid Reference: NU1144409116
OS Grid Coordinates: 411444, 609116
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3759, -1.8209
There is also a scheduled monument, Edlingham deserted village, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
EDLINGHAM EDLINGHAM VILLAGE
NU 10 NW
14/114 Church of St.
John the Baptist
Parish Church. Nave probably mid-Cll, partly rebuilt early C12; chancel later
C12; north arcade c.1190; tower c.1300; C14 south window and tomb recess in
nave; north aisle rebuilt C15; south porch probably C17; various C18 sash
windows, with wood tracery inserted at 1902 restoration; C19 vestry and 1864
Nave large roughly-squared stone with south-west quoins (perhaps re-used grave
stones) up to 2 metres long; other parts squared stone; cut dressings. Low-
pitched felted roofs to nave and chancel; other roofs Welsh slate. West tower;
nave with north aisle and vestry, south porch; chancel.
3-stage west tower has stepped chamfered plinth, band above plinth, and
chamfered set-back below squat belfry. Lower stage has small rebated lancet
on south only, the upper stages slatted chamfered loops except on east, which
shows weathering of old high-pitched roof. Low pyramidal roof. Gabled south
porch with chamfered plinth; round arch with keystone and chamfered imposts,
below small square window flanked by re-set head corbels. Stone benches and
barrel vault springing from chamfered band. C12 doorway has round arch with
bold roll moulding and billet hood, on jamb shafts with block capitals and
moulded bases; within arch is C17 doorway with flat-pointed head and sunk
spandrels, and vertical-panelled door. Above porch a chamfered loop; to
either side square-headed C18 windows and further east a pointed double-
chamfered C14 window arch, all with later wood tracery. North aisle has
blocked north door with chamfered pointed arch; and square-headed east window.
Chancel has C18 south window with pointed arch and raised stone surround; and
large Romanesque-style east window with round arch, zigzag, and jamb shafts.
Interior: Plastered. 4-bay north arcade of round arches with chamfered inner
and square outer orders. Round piers and semicircular responds have moulded
capitals with vertical lines of nail-head to imitate scallops, and moulded
bases with nail-head. Round C12 chancel arch, stepped towards nave, on
chamfered imposts carried back along east wall of nave; low stone screen has
central opening with chamfered and rebated jambs. South wall of nave shows
segmental-arched tomb recess,holding pre-Conquest cross fragment with vinescroll
and C14 cross slab, and remains of several blocked windows. Cll west front,
now within tower, shows centre door with slightly-recessed semicircular tympanum,
mutilated round-headed window above and circular opening in apex of former
gable. In north aisle a chamfered band below east window; and rear arch of
C12 west window above vestry door. Chancel has small piscina with pointed
moulded arch, and pointed recess further west.
Chancel roof has later boarding on grid of stop-chamfered tie-beams and
longitudinal members, probably C17. Early C20 tie-beam roof to nave. Fittings
mostly of similar date, except for balustraded communion rails of 1726.
Octagonal medieval font (inscribed '1701') on circular stepped base. Cll/C12
cross slab in aisle and C14 slab as threshold to south door. C18 wall monuments
and hatchments at west end of nave and east end of chancel; 1723 ledger stone
just inside south door. East window glass, 'The Sea Gave up the Dead which
were in it' to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who perished on the S.S. Nemesis.
Listing NGR: NU1144309123
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.