Description: Roman Catholic Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236659
OS Grid Reference: NU0294202203
OS Grid Coordinates: 402942, 602203
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3139, -1.9552
THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE
NU 00 SW
16/313 Roman Catholic
Church of All Saints
21.10.53 (formerly listed as
All Saints RC Church)
Roman Catholic Church; late C18 or early C19, altered 1842. Horizontally-
tooled stone except for west end, tooled-and-margined stone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof. Aisleless rectangular plan, with presbytery
(q.v.) adjoining east end. 1842 west end has boarded double doors in large
moulded arch beneath 2 carved niches with corbelled sills holding figures of
saints. Expanded-arm cross in gable and gabled bellcote with twin pointed
arches and Greek cross finial. Stepped diagonal buttresses carrying small
pinnacles. Built into wall on right of door is copy of C18 inscribed stone,
the original being set in the adjacent graveyard wall (q.v.). South wall 5
bays; sill band, 2-light Y-tracery windows with hoodmoulds. 2 similar windows
on north, the eastern blocked.
Interior: Plastered. Internal 3-sided apse beyond pendant screen of 3 pointed
arches with crocketed pinnacle in spandrels: panelled rear wall with similar
arches on paired rounded pilasters. Moulded stone font.
The Church originated as a chapel attached to Thropton Old Hall.
Listing NGR: NU0294202203
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.