Description: Thropton United Reformed Church with Front Wall and Gatepiers to Manse
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236663
OS Grid Reference: NU0286302247
OS Grid Coordinates: 402863, 602247
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3143, -1.9564
THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE
NU 00 SW
16/317 Thropton United
Church) with front
wall and gatepiers
Presbyterian Church. 1863 by F.R. Wilson of Alnwick. Rock-faced stone with
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Rectangular 4-bay plan with 3-sided
eastern apse, north-west porch carrying bell turret and south-east vestry.
Free C13 style. Stepped buttresses, moulded sill string. West end has
4-light window and coped gable on moulded kneelers; other windows are all
trefoil-headed lancets. Porch has boarded double doors with foliate hinges;
upper part steps back to octagonal turret carrying square belfry with trefoil-
headed openings, under steep gablets with sunk ornament,and spirelet with carved
Interior: Plastered. All windows with shouldered rear arches. Arch-braced
collar-beam roof with moulded pendants and king struts; similar half-trusses
over apse. Truss fronting apse has wallposts and cusped braces. Panelled
pulpit set centrally against east wall; numbered benches.
Low front wall with chamfered coping (rails removed) runs east from porch to
stop-chamferedgatepiers with pyramidal caps, holding C20 wrought-iron gate.
Listing NGR: NU0286302247
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.