Description: The Manor House
Date Listed: 21 October 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 236741
OS Grid Reference: NZ1157398302
OS Grid Coordinates: 411573, 598302
Latitude/Longitude: 55.2787, -1.8194
BRINKBURN BRINKBURN PRIORY
NZ 19 NW
10/72 The Manor House (formerly
listed as Brinkburn Priory
Country House. C13 south range of Priory conventual buildings converted into
house for Fenwick family in later C16, remodelled 1810 for Richard Hodgson;
alterations and major extensions 1830-37 by John Dobson for William Hodgson
Cadogan. Squared stone with cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Irregular
plan; the surviving part of the 1810 house forms an L-plan wing at the east
end of the Dobson section which consists of a grouping of 3 square or
rectangular towers, with further west outbuildings around an irregular
quadrangle. 1810 house Gothick style, 1830-37 parts castellated neo-Tudor.
North (entrance) front in two main sections. 2-storey, 3-bay left part is
1810 house: plinth, moulded cornice and parapet. Centre bay shows tall 24-
pane sash window with intersecting glazing bars under arched head; similar
window now blocked to left; later 3-light transomed window with 2-light
mullioned window above on right. Low-pitched hipped roof. 1830-37 right
part, set forward, in 3 sections: 3-storey tower on left has central 2-storey
projecting porch with tall Gothic arch under hoodmould, and taller turret
set back to right. Set-back 2-storey, 2-bay centre and set further back
3-storey tower with blank shield in large panel below parapet, and corbelled-
out oriel set diagonally at right end. Mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed
windows, with small-paned sashes and casements, under hoodmoulds. Embattled
parapets; tall stacks with dentilled cornices. To far right, at lower level,
embattled yard wall with segmental-pointed carriage arch and small tower at
3-bay left return shows central 3-window Gothick bow, with French windows,
and 1st floor sill band below 16-pane sashes; all openings with intersecting
glazing bars in heads. Similar 12-pane sashes to 1st floor of flanking bays.
South (river) front: 2-storey 1810 part has projecting right end bay with
mid-C19 canted bay window. 1830-37 left part has 4-storey towers, the left
with a corbelled-out 2nd-floor oriel, flanking a 3-storey centre.
Interior: 1810 part incorporates pre-C19 remains; inserted C16 barrel vault
in cellar; north wall of conventual range, now internal, has C13 moulded
segmental lavatory arch and blocked openings including C16 mullioned windows.
Stair hall and large drawing room have plaster work of c.1830 with enriched
cornices and ceiling borders; of this period are the panelled door architraves
and reveals, and the iron staircase with patterned panel balusters on alternate
treads, shaped tread ends, wreathed handrail and spiral curtail. Small south
drawing room, with added bay of c.1860, has enriched cornice of this period
and dado panelling. Similar detail in other rooms of 1810 part but 1830-37
extension gutted internally. Original fireplaces removed.
G. Fairclough, 'Brinkburn Priory, a structural analysis of the manor house',
Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series, VIII (1980) 142-152.
Listing NGR: NZ1157398302
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.