Description: Buildings and Walls Around Stable Yard to North of the Hall
Date Listed: 15 September 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 236854
OS Grid Reference: NU1682104763
OS Grid Coordinates: 416821, 604763
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3366, -1.7364
6/185 NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR NEWTON HALL
NU 10 SE
6/185 Buildings and
stable yard, to
north of the Hall
Ranges and walls around stableyard, late C18 altered later C19. Coach-house
squared tooled stone, other parts rubble; cut dressings; Welsh slate roofs
with brick stack to coach-house. Ranges around rectangular yard closed by
wall with central gateway on east; south range extends beyond yard to form
gateway into rear yard of Hall.
North range is coach-house: 2 storeys, 5 irregular bays. On right a pair of
3-centred arches now holding small-paned casement windows, on left a 12-pane
casement flanked by part-blocked doorways now holding sash windows; Yorkshire
sashes above. Eaves band. Hipped roof with ridge stack. Single-storey west
range shows three casements and a 3-centred carriage arch. 2-storey south
range: at left end gateway with boarded double doors under flat 4-centred
arch; panel above with Widdrington arms and clock in architrave set in a
gablet with ball finial, flanked by scrolled brackets; open timber bellcote,
with pyramidal roof and weathervane, above. Single-storey bay at far left is
end of north wing of Hall (q.v.). Wall on east of yard has flat coping and
gateway with square piers carrying tall vase finials.
Note: The clock above the gateway was originally made for Princess Amelia,
second daughter of George II, by William Smith of Moorfields in 1763.
Listing NGR: NU1682104763
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.