If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 31 December 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 236953
OS Grid Reference: NU2307122487
OS Grid Coordinates: 423071, 622487
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4956, -1.6364
NU 2322 EMBLETON EMBLETON VILLAGE
14/63 Church of the
31.12.69 Holy Trinity
Parish Church. Lower part of tower late C11 or early C12; nave arcades early
C13; aisles rebuilt and tower heightened early C14; porch later C15 or early
C16; aisles refenestrated and extended to embrace tower 1850 by John Dobson;
chancel (replacing a predecessor of c.1800) and vestry 1867 by F.R. Wilson at
the expense of Merton College, Oxford. Lower part of tower rubble, other
parts squared stone, except for chancel of alternating bands of grey roughly-
faced limestone and pink sandstone; ashlar dressings. Graduated Lakeland
slate roof to nave; C20 stainless steel roofs to aisles; chancel and vestry
roofs banded purple Welsh slate with green fish-scale slates. Plan: West
tower, nave with 3-bay aisles later extended west, south porch and transeptal
Craster Chapel at east end of north aisle; chancel with north vestry. C14
style, the chancel with Geometrical tracery.
Three-stage tower with chamfered set-backs between stages and below parapet.
Restored or C19 stepped buttresses flank C19 2-light west window. South wall
of lower stage shows part-blocked trefoil-headed window above aisle roof;
second stage has two square-headed windows on west; belfry has transomed
openings of two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil spandrel; parapet with
trefoil-headed open panels and 8 small pinnacles.
South aisle has diagonal south-west buttress. Tall chamfered plinth east of
porch. Flat-topped porch with moulded 4-centred arch, carved hoodmould stops
and niche on angel corbel above; cornice and parapet. Interior shows old
stone benches, C19 roof with carved bosses and C19 doorway with boarded double
doors, below weathering of earlier porch roof. Five C12 and C13 cross slabs
set in internal walls; (other medieval fragments set into internal walls of
vestry). 2-light C19 aisle windows. North aisle has old moulded parapet
similar to porch. Projecting gabled Craster Chapel has large stepped buttress
on east and renewed 2-light north window. C19 clerestorey with trefoiled
ogee-headed lights; coped east gable on moulded kneelers, with ring cross
3-bay chancel. South wall shows chamfered plinth and set-back at sill level,
and stepped buttresses between bays; central buttress extended westward into
a projection holding a cinquefoil-headed priest's door; 2-light windows
varying in detail. 5-light east window flanked by gabled angel buttresses,
beneath coped gable with ring cross finial. One 2-light window on north, and
Interior: Double-chamfered tower arch; chamfered hoodmould. Above arch
traces of a blocked door and weathering of low-pitched late medieval roof.
Base of tower has pointed vault on three chamfered ribs, pierced by C19 iron
spiral stair. Vault ribs cut rear arches of blocked early Norman windows in
side walls. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal
piers with moulded capitals; eastern responds have foliage carving. Carved
broach stops to outer order chamfer; hoodmoulds with large nutmeg ornament,
partly re-cut, and carved stops. East wall of south aisle shows three
brackets, two with carved heads, and rebated aumbry. East window of north
aisle flanked by round- and ogee-arched piscinae with cusped recesses above,
possibly re-set. Double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch to Craster Chapel;
Chapel has rebated aumbry on east.
C19 double-chamfered chancel arch with dogtooth, on C13 carved corbels,
under weathering of steeply-pitched C13 nave roof; large blocked window in
gable. Chancel banded pink and yellow stone. Piscina and credence recesses
have trefoiled arches; adjacent window sill lowered to hold wooden sedile.
C19 scissor-braced nave roof on stone corbels; plain late medieval roofs to
aisles. Elaborate collar-beam chancel roof. Tiled sanctuary with wrought-
iron Gothic altar rails; carved stone reredos. Carved 1896 pulpit. Chancel
glass 1884 by Kempe; east window with Northumbrian Saints, side windows with
Evangelists, Patriarchs, Prophets and Fathers of the Latin Church. Carved
C19 font in C13 style. Old Craster hatchments over arch to Craster Chapel
and under tower. Monuments: C18 ledger slabs in chancel. At west end of
south aisle wall tablets to Mrs Grace Edwards d.1696, Anthony Wilson (Custom
Officer at Craster) d.1718 and Joseph Wood (Major of the Northumberland
militia) d.1810. At west end of north aisle wall tablets to Viscount Grey
of Fallodon d. 1933 and other C19 and early C20 members of the family.
Listing NGR: NU2306822485
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.