Littlehoughton Hall, Longhoughton
Description: Littlehoughton Hall
Date Listed: 1 September 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 237033
OS Grid Reference: NU2312016464
OS Grid Coordinates: 423120, 616464
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4415, -1.6361
Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland NE66 3JZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
NU 21 NW LONGHOUGHTON LITTLEHOUGHTON
5/142 Littlehoughton Hall
House. Centre part late medieval or C16; north range 1686 (dated fireplace
with initials ERM (Edward and Mary Roddam); south block probably 1818; north-
west wing probably early C19, porch late C19. Centre part massive rubble;
north range rubble with cut dressings; south block tooled squared stone with
tooled ashlar dressings; north-west wing whinstone rubble with cut sandstone
dressings; porch tooled stone with tooled-and-margined dressings. Welsh slate
roof, except for pantiles on north-west wing, with yellow brick stacks.
Plan: square south block and north range form L-plan, linked by the remnant
of the medieval or C16 building; single-storey north-west wing to west of end
of north range.
East (entrance) front 2 storeys, in 3 parts. Projecting left block of 2 wide
bays. Plinth. Right-of-centre flat-topped porch with panelled double doors
in chamfered surround under cornice; 12-pane sash in similar surround on left
return; overlight above porch. 12-pane sash windows in raised stone surrounds.
Hipped roof with central rendered ridge stack; old stepped-and-corniced
lateral stack on right return. Right range left bay is oldest part, with
blocked square-headed door, inserted 12-pane sash in raised surround, and
small lst-floor window. Coped right end gable on moulded kneelers, with end
stack rebuilt on old base. 3-bay, C17 far right part has lower eaves but
higher ridgeline. At left an inserted casement, with intersecting glazing
bars, in richly-moulded doorway with pointed arch within square frame; above
it a small casement in oval opening with remains of cable-moulded surround.
Centre bay has renewed windows in old recessed chamfered surrounds, lost
mullions; right bay behind stable range (q.v.).
South front 2 storeys, 4 bays, symmetrical. Plinth and sill bands. 12-pane
sash windows in architraves. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof.
West elevation: South block on right has 12-pane sash stair window, with
intersecting head, under keyed round arch with imposts, at right; rubble
masonry of medieval or C16 part to left. On far left is north range with
inserted window in gable-headed cross-passage doorway; 2 old chamfered windows
with hoodmoulds on 1st floor. Left projecting north-west wing, with two 12-
pane sashes on inner return. North elevation of north range shows blocked
roll-moulded window opening to 1st floor and former 2-light mullioned attic
window, under gable with reverse-stepped coping.
Interior. Oldest part has large roll-moulded square-headed fireplace, backing
on to former cross passage in north wing; doorway from passage has outer
chamfered 4-centred arch. On north of passage is rear wall of large blocked
kitchen fireplace; at 1st floor level above is a dated fireplace with moulded
surround, corbelled-out lintel and foliage-carved panel at base of each jamb.
Small 1st-floor window on east of oldest part is set in larger recess, perhaps
a former doorway. South block has 6-panel doors, and dog-leg stair with stick
balusters and ramped moulded handrail.
Historical Notes: The Hall was held by the Roddam family from the early C14
until 1710. It is recorded that a tower 25 ft. square, with walls 5 ft.
thick and a barrel-vaulted basement, was taken down in 1818; the Northumberland
County History (Vol.II, p.405) says that the oldest part of the present house
is part of this, but its masonry looks more of C16 character, as does the roll-
moulded fireplace. This may be part of a wing added to the now-demolished
Listing NGR: NU2312016464
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.