Peel House, with Outbuilding, Shilbottle
Description: Peel House, with Outbuilding
Date Listed: 10 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 237117
OS Grid Reference: NU1954208707
OS Grid Coordinates: 419542, 608707
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3720, -1.6932
Location: 1 Middle Road, Shilbottle, Northumberland NE66 2XS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE MIDDLE ROAD
9/226 Peel House, with
Former Vicarage, with attached outbuildings. Tower probably C15, heightened 1863;
main part of house, and outbuildings, C18 remodelling of possible medieval fabric,
altered and extended 1863 by F.R. Wilson, for Rev. J.B. Roberts; altered c.1970.
large squared stone; outbuilding rubble; rear wing snecked stone; cut dressings.
Welsh slate roofs except for low-pitched lead roof to tower.
South elevation in 3 sections. At right end is 3-storey tower. Rough plinth;
wall battered up to 2nd floor level. Enlarged chamfered loop on ground floor;
C19 first-floor window of 2 pointed lights; traces of blocked window to
left. Chamfered set-back above marks top of medieval masonry. 2nd-floor
window of 2 trefoil-headed lights; embattled parapet. Taller corbelled-out
turret at left corner. Adjoining 2-storey 3-bay part has shallow porch on
right with boarded door under chamfered pointed arch; pent slab roof with small
centre gable with monogram on shield and cross finial. Plain sash windows, the
central set in former chamfered doorway; stone with JBR monogram above left
ground-floor window. Left single-storey section in 2 parts; 2-bay right part
reduced to 1 storey c.1970, shows 4-pane sash and small boarded window; 2-bay
left outbuilding has boarded double doors under timber lintel, with narrower
but similar door to left under raking loft dormer; coped left end gable; small
stepped stack on ridge.
Right return, to churchyard: Left tower with 1st-floor window of 2 trefoil-
headed lights above panel with Latin inscription referring to Rev. Roberts and
F.R. Wilson, and rhyme (from Melrose Abbey):
Earth builds on the earth Castles and Towers
To earth saith the earth All shall be ours.
Square-headed window on 2nd floor 2-storey 1-bay rear wing on right has 3-
light windows under dormer gable.
Rear elevation: Various casement windows in older openings. Gable end of rear
wing, on left, has windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights.
Interior: Basement of tower has chamfered 4-centred doorway and slightly-
pointed barrel vault; splayed loop on north now opens into wing. Wall lockers
in end walls. Remains of newel stair or well shaft in cupboard at north-west
corner of tower. 0.7-metre thick walls, with distinct batter, define former
hall block, enlarged to rear in C18. Panelled doors and shutters with beaded
mouldings. 1st-floor room in tower has C18 moulded stone fireplace with later
wrought-iron and tiled grate, flanked by doorways with arched panels above;
cornice. C19 stair with stick balusters, moulded ramped handrail and moulded
Listing NGR: NU1954208707
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.