Description: The Schoolhouse
Date Listed: 10 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 237145
OS Grid Reference: NU2489506146
OS Grid Coordinates: 424895, 606146
Latitude/Longitude: 55.3487, -1.6090
NU 2406 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS
21/254 The Schoolhouse
10.1.53 as The Borough
Former Borough School, dated 1736. Squared stone with cut dressings; rear
elevation concrete-faced and rendered. Pantile roof with stone slates to
eaves at rear; Welsh slates on porch; brick stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Centre top-glazed 5-panel door; sunk lintel panel with worn inscription (now
largely illegible) 'This house was built by George Lawson of Gloster Hill
who gave it to the town for a school-house, 1736'. 2-light mullioned window
above, holding 6-pane casements. End bays have 12-pane Yorkshire sashes.
All openings in chamfered block surrounds. Raised reverse-stepped gable
copings; banded right end stack, rebuilt left end stack. Small porch at left
end with renewed door. Left return shows C20 casements in old openings on
ground and 1st floors.
Historical Note: The building served as the Borough School until c.1890;
in the early C20 it served as a village meeting room.
Listing NGR: NU2489506146
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.