Date Listed: 26 May 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 237349
OS Grid Reference: NT9969453077
OS Grid Coordinates: 399694, 653077
Latitude/Longitude: 55.7710, -2.0064
NT 9953 11/124
Part of Town Fortifications. Originally Elizabethan, altered 1815 and
again in 1858. High plain stone walls punctured by 3 arches - a large
segmental arched entrance over the Great North Road, flanking round arched
entrances over footpaths, all with plain voussoirs. Hinges remain for
former gate. Round arch at right angles on North side, with flight of steps
leading up to Greenside Avenue, and Town Walls.
Listing NGR: NT9964553145
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.