Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 15 May 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 237809
OS Grid Reference: NU0119239649
OS Grid Coordinates: 401192, 639649
Latitude/Longitude: 55.6504, -1.9826
NU 0139 LOWICK MAIN STREET
13/101 Church of St. John
Parish Church. Nave and tower 1794, Gothicized mid C19. Chancel added 1887
by F.R. Wilson. Tower and nave roughcast with ashlar dressings. Chancel
snecked rubble. Rock-faced buttresses. Lakeland slate roof.
Nave, chancel, west tower and north vestry.
Nave and tower have rusticated quoins. Tower has pointed-arched south door.
THIS CHAPEL REBUILT AN DOM 1794
REV GEORGE GOODWILL MINISTER
WILL SMITH CHAPEL GEO HALL
THO HILL WARDENS GEO SAMPLE
HENRY PENNY SELBY MORTON ARCHIT
Band above and paired lancet bell openings. C19 saddleback roof.
4-bay nave with paired lancets.
3-bay chancel with lancets. 5-light east window with Geometric tracery.
Gabled roof with flat coping.
Interior has Victorian hammer-beam roof. Nave south window with figures of
St. George and St. Constance, in style of Morris and Co. 1902. Reredos has
late C19 naturalistic carving.
Listing NGR: NU0119239649
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.