Description: The Old Vicarage
Date Listed: 6 May 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 237937
OS Grid Reference: NT8961547389
OS Grid Coordinates: 389615, 647389
Latitude/Longitude: 55.7198, -2.1669
NORHAM CHURCH LANE
12/84 The Old Vicarage
House, formerly the Vicarage. Rebuilt 1800 for Rev. Atkins, enlarged 1830
for Rev. Darnell. Roughly-coursed sandstone with tooled-and-margined ashlar
dressings; Welsh slate roof and brick chimneys. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Raised
alternating quoins. Central 2-leaf, half-glazed door with horizontally-set
panes in the Scottish style. 12-pane sash above door. Outer bays have
shallow 2-storey bows with tripartite windows, the centre lights broad 12-pane
sashes, the outer lights very narrow 8-pane sashes. Moulded eaves cornice
following the contours of the bows. Hipped roof with C20 ridge stacks.
4-bay right return with 12-pane sashes. To rear a service wing, and corniced
porch with 2-leaf, flush-panel door and margined overlight.
Interior: 6-panel doors, panelled reveals and shutters. Original fireplaces,
including one with gesso decoration.
North Durham: J. Raines: London, 1852.
Listing NGR: NT8969047314
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.