Description: Church of St Cuthbert
Date Listed: 21 September 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 237976
OS Grid Reference: NT7971238423
OS Grid Coordinates: 379712, 638423
Latitude/Longitude: 55.6389, -2.3238
NT 73 NE
7/9 Church of
Parish church. Nave 1790 by R. Hodgson Huntley. West tower and chancel added
and nave windows Gothicized, c.1870. Nave random rubble with ashlar dressings,
later work ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Nave, chancel, west tower/porch and
Castellated west tower has pointed doorway and paired lancet bell openings.
4-bay nave has rusticated quoins. Paired lancet windows. One-bay chancel
has east window of 3 stepped lancets.
Interior has C18 box pews, and choir stalls in the nave. Round C18 rere-
arches to nave windows. Open timber roof with scissor braces and king posts.
On chancel north wall monument to Anthony Compton, 1830, by Davies of Newcastle.
Listing NGR: NT7971238423
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.