Description: Tillmouth Park Hotel
Date Listed: 22 December 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 237988
OS Grid Reference: NT8852642791
OS Grid Coordinates: 388526, 642791
Latitude/Longitude: 55.6785, -2.1840
CORNHILL-ON-TWEED A 698
NT 84 SE
(South side, off)
Hotel. 1882 by Charles Barry Junior, on site of earlier house of c.1810.
Ashlar with rock-faced ground floor, Lakeland slate roof. Elizabethan style.
Three storeys, three bays with lower 4-bay wing to right. The ground floor
is battered. Projecting cross-gabled centre bay has porch with multi-moulded
4-centred-arched doorway, cornice above and carved crest under gablet. Above
a large 4-light stair window with two transoms and semi-circular drip mould
bearing the date on a shield. Three-light mullioned window in the gable.
Flanking bays have 3-light windows, mullioned on the ground floor, mullioned-
and-transomed above. Parapet on cornice with corbel table and Tudor flowers.
At the corners rounded corbel projections bearing ball finials. Gabled roofs
with hipped projections in front. Two-light gabled dormers with decorative
Garden front 5 bays with projecting centre bay. In front of this a flight of
stone steps with side walls.
Interior: 3-storey wood open-well stair supported on arched braces. Heraldic
glass around door and in large stair window. Many marble fireplaces from the
preceeding house. They date from c.1810, several have fluted down-tapering
columns with bulgy Corinthian capitals. The original central heating system
survives with elaborate cast-iron grilles. The house has cavity walling.
Drawings preserved in Northumberland Record Office.
Listing NGR: NT8852642791
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.