Description: Morpeth Station
Date Listed: 22 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 238709
OS Grid Reference: NZ2029085370
OS Grid Coordinates: 420290, 585370
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1622, -1.6831
MORPETH COOPIES LANE
British Rail Station. 1847 by John Green for the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. bm
canopies added c.1890 (cf. Whittingham Station and Callaly Castle Stables).
Dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Tudor style. 2-storey,
U-plan centre section and single-storey wings.
Centre section: recessed middle with Tudor-arched doorway to left and platform
access to right; 2-light windows above in gabled half-dormers. Projecting,
cross-gabled outer bays. To right: 3 large pointed-arched windows on ground
floor and canted oriel above. To left: 3-light mullioned windows. Steeply-
pitched gabled roof with ridged coping, kneelers with ball finials, and low
octagonal ridge stacks.
Similar detail to wings.
Platform side has glazed canopies with elaborate iron work, including stars of
David, in the spandrels. Platform extension to east has similar canopy on cast-
Ceramic railway map of c.1910, attached to wall.
Railway Stations of the North East: Hoole: 1985. David and Charles.
Listing NGR: NZ2035185364
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.