Description: Former Presbyterian Church
Date Listed: 11 August 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 238711
OS Grid Reference: NZ1978886305
OS Grid Coordinates: 419788, 586305
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1707, -1.6909
MORPETH COTTINGWOOD LANE
22/226 Former Presbyterian
listed as School)
Formerly a Presbyterian Church, later-used as a school. 1722. Brick in English
Garden Wall Bond with ashlar dressings. Random rubble to rear. Later additions
in snecked stone. Welsh slate roof.
2-storey older parts to rear, with single-storey later addition projecting on
Older part has rusticated quoins and 2 large round-headed windows with moulded
imposts and architraves. To left a single-storey lean-to brick addition re-
using original quoins and architrave; above this a C20 window in original
architrave. Gabled roof with kneelers. C19 bellcote on right gable.
On left return two 24-pane margined sashes. On right return 2 blocked doors in
architraves and 2 similar windows on 1st floor.
Later addition 3 bays. Gabled porch on left. Windows boarded up at time of
survey. Gabled roof with kneelers and corniced left end stack.
Built for the Rev. John Horsley, author of Britannia Romana.
Included partly for historical interest.
Empty and in poor repair at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ1978886305
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.