Description: Collingwood House
Date Listed: 11 August 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 238761
OS Grid Reference: NZ1967085978
OS Grid Coordinates: 419670, 585978
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1677, -1.6927
NZ 1986 and (North side)
24/272 Collingwood House
Formerly house, now Catholic Presbytery. Late C18-early C19. Brick in Flemish
bond with ashlar plinth. Lakeland slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Doorways
in 1st and 5th bays; to left a 6-panel door with fanlight in surround with
Tuscan pilaster and cornice; to right a 6-panel door with attached Tuscan
columns. Ground floor has 2-pane sashes in plain reveals with stone sills and
flat arches. Similar surrounds to 12-pane sashes on 1st floor. Gabled roof
with flat coping and end stacks. Very long, 2-storey, rear wing with irregular
openings including late C19 Gothic wood porch and round-headed stair window with
intersecting glazing bars.
Inscription of 1905 recalls occupancy by Vice Admiral Lord Collingwood who
lived here from 1791 until his death. Graded for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1967085978
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.