Description: The Old Rectory
Date Listed: 27 August 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 238812
OS Grid Reference: NZ1653972906
OS Grid Coordinates: 416539, 572906
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0504, -1.7427
There is also a scheduled monument, Vicar's Pele: a Medieval Tower House on North Side of Main Street, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
PONTELAND MAIN STREET
The Old Rectory
GV II *
Former Rectory, now private house. Early C18, heightened in the late C18.
For Merton College who were the lay rectors of Ponteland. Brick in English
Garden Wall Bond with stone plinth. Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys plus attics.
7 bays, the left 2 bays added almost immediately after the rest.
2-leaf, 6 panel door with overlight and semicircular hood, in 5th bay. 12-pane
sashes in shallow reveals with flat arches. lst floor brick band. Gabled roof
with flat coping, right end stack and 3 segment-headed dormer windows.
2-storey lean-to to rear has irregular openings with 12-pane sashes, Yorkshire
sashes and 16-pane sashes.
Interior has late C18 stair with stick balusters. 2 early Cla.panelled rooms
(one in added 2-bay left section). Both have 2-panelled doors and wood cornices.
One has fireplace with bolection-moulded surround and round-headed niche with
Listing NGR: NZ1654272907
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.