Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 28 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 238894
OS Grid Reference: NZ0765372010
OS Grid Coordinates: 407653, 572010
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0425, -1.8818
There is also a scheduled monument, Market cross, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
STAMFORDHAM THE GREEN
NZ 0772 (West side)
28/408 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Possibly Saxon quoins at west end of nave, also blocked Saxon,
early Romanesque arch in west wall of tower. Elsewhere C13, extensively
restored 1847 by Benjamin Ferrey. Squared stone and ashlar with fish-scale
tile roof. Tower, nave with aisles, chancel and vestry.
Tower: 3 storeys. Small lancets on ground and 1st floor; paired-lancet bell
opening with roll-moulded surround and central column with waterleaf capital.
4-bay nave with 2 lancets to each bay. Buttresses between the bays. The
detail all of 1847.
3-bay chancel is more clearly of re-used C13 masonry. The plinth, priests'
door and string are Ferrey's but the windows seem original (cf. interior).
East end has 3 stepped lancets.
North vestry has picturesque tall octagonal chimney with pyramidal cap.
Interior: porch has 3 medieval grave covers and part of C15 tomb with 2 angels
bearing shield. Round rere-arches to tower lancets. Arcade of double-chamfered
arches re-cut but original; the octagonal piers are replacements. West piers
have heavily-restored stiff-leaf capitals. West responds and slightly-ogival
tower arch are original. Chancel arch and east responds have triple-shafted
corbels. Chancel windows with roll-moulded surrounds, and east window with
multi-.moulded surround. Trefoiled piscina. Chancel south side: segmental
niche with effigy of knight; north side segmental niche with dogtooth and
effigy of priest. Also in chancel half a C13 effigy of knight, wall tablet to
Dixon family 1721 and later, with coat of arms. North aisle: John Swinburne,
1653; large standing monument with Baroque carving in the style of Capheaton
Hall. South aisle: part of C14 relief of the crucifixion built into east wall;
also a painted cartouche to Wm. Akenside, and Sam his son, 1776.
Listing NGR: NZ0765272009
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.