Description: Old Manor House and Adjacent Ruins
Date Listed: 20 October 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 238942
OS Grid Reference: NZ1681685573
OS Grid Coordinates: 416816, 585573
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1642, -1.7376
There is also a scheduled monument, Four pillboxes, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
9/27 Old Manor House
and adjacent ruins
20.10.69 (formerly listed as
as Mitford Manor House)
Manor house. Probably C16, remodelled C17 with addition of porch tower, dated
1637, and rear wings; kitchen wing remodelled 1961-2. Large rubble with cut
dressings; pantile roof on kitchen wing. Main block with central porch tower
on east and twin wings with small outshut between on west.
Porch tower 3 storeys. Plinth. 3 steps up to round arch with imposts and
keystone, under ornate entablature with worn armorial panel, strapwork and
finials. String courses stepped over 3-light transomed windows; embattled,
parapet. Returns show ground-floor openings with re-used C14 trefoiled heads,
and 2-light transomed windows above. Doorway within porch has flat-pointed
head, chamfered surround and 6-panel door.
Apart from fragments adjacent to porch tower, the front and end walls of the
main block have fallen. The rear wall shows remains of several doorways and
fireplaces, one with a flat-pointed arch within a square frame, under a relieving
arch. To rear left, the south wall of the south-west wing shows 2-light windows
with remains of diamond-latticed glazing. The north-west or kitchen wing has
been much altered and is not of especial interest; a fireplace and dogwheel were
removed to Mitford Hall (q.v.).
Listing NGR: NZ1681585577
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.