Description: The Stone Bridge, 160 Metres North of Blagdon Hall
Date Listed: 28 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 238981
OS Grid Reference: NZ2164977177
OS Grid Coordinates: 421649, 577177
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0886, -1.6624
13/73 The Stone Bridge,
160 metres north
of Blagdon Hall
28.4.69 (formerly listed as
Bridge in Garden of
Bridge with statuary. Bridge dated 1860, statues by J.C. Lough dated 1869 and
1871. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; marble statues. 3 round arches
with rusticated voussoirs, with smaller arch on south for garden path. Soffits
of arches have channeled rustication. Pilasters, impost band (carrying pilasters
over central piers), moulded string below parapet broken forward round pilasters.
Lower parts of central piers have arched niches, those on east with urns and
inscriptions JOHN DONKIN, MASON and M.W.R. (Matthew White Ridley) with date.
Parapet with low gabled coping and low pyramidal caps to pilasters, swept out
at ends to piers carrying life-size classical statues.
Listing NGR: NZ2164977177
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.