Description: The Spital
Date Listed: 2 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 239227
OS Grid Reference: NY9271965019
OS Grid Coordinates: 392719, 565019
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9797, -2.1153
5334 The Spital
NY 96 NW 4/80 2.10.51.
1802, on site of the mediaeval St Giles' Hospital. 2 storeys and basement.
3 windows. Ashlar over rusticated basement. Hipped slate roof. Classic front
with pedimented centre breaking forward and approached by curved flights of steps leading
to central doorway, which has a large and elaborate fanlight; 2 leaf doors with
side lights separated by Doric columns; fluted frieze, panelled pilasters. Glazing
bar sash windows with architraves, entablatures with fluted friezes and relieving
arches on ground floor. Cornice and blocking course; pediment with stone urn
and swags in low relief. Lower 2 storey 2 window annexe to west and a further
Hipped gabled extension with a lunette on 1st floor and a Venetian window on
ground floor. Further single storey, 2 window range.
North front: Tripartite windows on raised ground floor set in relieving arches
containing rosettes. String and eaves courses. Extensions to West treated in
same manner as front, with lunette and Venetian window. Basement windows segmental
hooded withing relieving lunettes.
Interior: 2 storey hall with cantilevered staircase and landing. Heavy Adam-style
ceiling decoration. Some mahogany doors.
Anglian cross referred to in previous list now in St Andrew's Church (qv).
Listing NGR: NY9271965019
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.