Description: Church of St Cuthbert
Date Listed: 24 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 239258
OS Grid Reference: NY7896463963
OS Grid Coordinates: 378964, 563963
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9698, -2.3301
NY 76 SE BARDON MILL BELTINGHAM
8/8 Church of St. Cuthbert
Parish church, late C15, extended C17, restored 1884. Squared stone and rubble,
slate roof. Single cell, externally of 6 bays; western 3 bays thought to be C17
addition. 1884 north vestry on site of medieval sacristy or chapel. South wall
has chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses and thin stepped buttresses between
bays, windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights under elliptical arches with hollow-
chamfered hoodmoulds. Window sills set higher in 2nd and 5th bays with doorways
beneath;western door has elliptical arch in square frame, largely C19; blocked
eastern door, 4-centred head in square frame, head inscribed '16 91' 6(7?),
spandrels inscribed 'W IA BAL'. West end rubble, similar 3-light window,
squared stone corbelled-out bellcote with elliptical-arched openings. East end
squared stone, diagonal buttresses, window of 5 cinquefoil-headed lights, with
panel tracery over, under elliptical arch and hoodmould. Cl9 gable with cross
finial. North wall rubble, 1 central stepped buttress with 3-light window to left.
Vestry has possibly C16 window, re-set in east wall, with triangular head and
raised ball in apex of chamfered surround, old iron bars and diamond glazing.
Other openings Cl9.
Interior: large corbels flanking east window, left with sunk star ornament, right
with chevron, may be either re-used C12 or later vernacular work. Relief carvings
on inner splays of 3 eastern windows in south, of rabbit, flowers, fleur de lys,
grotesque mask etc. On north of sanctuary old rectangular squint with iron bars.
Font, simple circular basin and shaft, perhaps late medieval. C12 cross slab set
in recess of blocked doorway on south. Roof timbers and furnishings all of 1884.
East window glass by Kempe, 1891.
Listing NGR: NY7896563963
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.