Description: Wylam Hall
Date Listed: 7 March 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 239527
OS Grid Reference: NZ1112964622
OS Grid Coordinates: 411129, 564622
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9761, -1.8276
NZ 16 SW WYLAM OVINGHAM ROAD
19/154 Wylam Hall
House, now subdivided into 3 apartments. C15 altered in C18 and several periods
up to late C19. Older parts random rubble, late C19 parts ashlar. Welsh slate
roofs. Rambling irregular plan. Garden front has doorway with bolection-
moulded eared surround, cornice and pulvinated frieze on stone consoles, and
swan-neck pediment. C20 French window to right. Small C15 window to left. On
1st floor 4 renewed 12-pane sashes in architraves with moulded sills and wedge
lintels, above architraves grooved in imitation of voussoirs. Left of this
the stump of a demolished wing, and left again the Victorian addition with
projecting chimney and 2-light mullioned windows. Rear of this block has pointed-
arch staircase window with intersecting glazing bars. Rear wings have various
windows C17 - C20.
Gabled roofs. C15 block has flat coping with kneelers; and C17 finials with roll
moulding and obelisks on right gable. One stone gable stack, one tall brick
chimney and many C19 brick stacks.
Interior of C15 block has walls 5 - 6 feet thick and a tunnel-vaulted ground
floor 62 feet long with a mural chamber on south side. Ceiling of vault given
plaster rib vault with, in parts, triple shafted pilasters and Gothick capitals;
probably c1820 and altered later. Circular iron Gothick staircase with pointed
arches between square balusters, also c1820.
Attached to rear of C15 block is arcade of four C17/early C18 round brick arches.
House belonged to Tynemouth Priory C12 - C15. The drive was used by George
Stephenson for early experiments in making steam engines run uphill without rack
Newcastle upon Tyne Society of Antiquaries: Feb. 1914.
Listing NGR: NZ1112964622
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.