Description: Chapel of St Aidan
Date Listed: 24 May 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 240088
OS Grid Reference: NY9810466883
OS Grid Coordinates: 398104, 566883
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9965, -2.0312
NY 96 NE
5/329 CHAPEL OF ST AIDAN
Chapel, 1885 by W.S. Hicks for John Straker. Squared stone with ashlar
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Aisleless 3-bay nave with south
porch and south-west bell turret, 2-bay chancel with north vestry, organ chamber.
Free Perpendicular style.
Chamfered plinth and set-back, moulded sill string, eaves cornice with corbels;
stepped buttresses. 2- and 3-light windows. Gabled south porch has panelled
double doors under moulded arch with square flower ornament. Octagonal bell
turret has shallow buttresses to alternate faces, chamfered loops to newel
stair, traceried single-light bell openings, embattled parapet and stone spire
with weathervane. Moulded panel on south of chancel with IHS and Emblems of
Passion. Gables with moulded coping and foliate cross finials.
Interior: Moulded chancel arch with foliage-carved capitals; segmental arch
with square flower ornament to organ chamber. Piscina and sedilia in chancel.
Much good woodwork including arch-braced collar-beam roofs; carved wallplate
with foliage cornice. Richly-carved font. Panelled and brattished dado,
linenfold bench ends. Carved pulpit, lectern, stalls and communion rail.
Mosaic chancel floor.
Listing NGR: NY9810466883
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.