Ninebanks Tower, Adjacent to the South End of Ninebanks Post Office, West Allen
Description: Ninebanks Tower, Adjacent to the South End of Ninebanks Post Office
Date Listed: 23 August 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 240359
OS Grid Reference: NY7820453201
OS Grid Coordinates: 378204, 553201
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8731, -2.3412
Location: West Allen, Northumberland NE47 8DA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Ninebanks Tower House, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
NY 75 SE WEST ALLEN NINEBANKS (West side)
14/242 Ninebanks Tower, adjacent
to the south end of
Ninebanks Post Office
Tower, built onto east gable of earlier manor house in early C16, heightened
and stair turret added later C16. Rubble with stone dressings, later C16
work more massive rubble. Roughly square in plan. 4 storeys; rectangular
stair turret at west end of north face. Elevation to street (east): blocked
rectangular chamfered loop just above ground level with small inserted window
over, 1st floor window formerly of 2 lights, monolithic head with 2-centred
arches, 2nd-floor rectangular chamfered window with a pair of raised inverted
shields on the lintel. Weathering of a pitched roof or gablet above. Hollow-
chamfered course carries oversailing 3rd floor with a pair of rectangular
windows one above the other, and a corbelled cornice which formerly supported
a parapet. Stair turret has 3 chamfered loops. Right return has blocked
Tudor-arched door partly concealed by the stair turret, and a rectangular
chamfered lst-floor loop. Left return has chamfered loops to the 1st and
3rd floors and a small slit to the 2nd. 2 stone spouts project from the moulded
parapet. To the left a buttress-like projection is part of the earlier house.
Rear elevation shows inserted door and much patching; several doorways with
chamfered surrounds, some blocked, in stair turret. To left of turret one jamb
of a ground-floor window of the former north range.
Interior; at 1st and 2nd floor levels doorways with monolithic Tudor-arched
heads, now blocked; to right of the 2nd-floor door is a blocked chamfered
window, looking into the tower, i.e. part of the gable of the earlier manor
house. At 3rd floor level the remains of a fireplace. Lower section of stair
turret now infilled; upper part retains its stone newel stair, with near the
top a circular gunloop on the north.
The heraldry on the tower, now defaced, is thought to relate to Sir Thomas
Dacre, ruler of Hexhamshire 1515-1526.
Dickinson G., 'Historical Notices of the 2 Parishes of Allendale and Whitfield'
(1903) p 28 et seq.
Listing NGR: NY7820453201
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.