Description: Engine House to Former Lead Mine
Date Listed: 18 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 240392
OS Grid Reference: NY9594551068
OS Grid Coordinates: 395945, 551068
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8544, -2.0647
NY 95 SE NY 95945106
15/25 Engine house to
former leasd mine
Engine house of Cornish type, early C19. South face tooled-and-margined stone,
remainder coursed rubble with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings. Tower-
like square structure of 3 stages divided by chamfered set-backs. South face
has tall round-headed arch and remains of larger opening with later blocking
above. Several square-headed openings on west, square-headed doorway on west
and window in gable. Attached building on east largely fallen except for tall
square chimney, a stepped 6-stage stack.
The engine,pumping water from Shildon lead mine is known to have been working
by 1840; later in the C19 it became disused and the engine house was modified
to house several families. Now locally known as 'Shildon Castle'.
Listing NGR: NY9594551068
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.