Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 15 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 240505
OS Grid Reference: NZ0145658375
OS Grid Coordinates: 401456, 558375
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9201, -1.9788
HEALEY HEALEY VILLAGE
NZ 05 NW.
Church of St. John
Parish church, 1860 by Major C.E. Davis of Bath; west tower 1890 by
Montgomery and Carr. Rough-faced stone with ashlar dressings, rock-faced
margined quoins; stone slate roof. Nave with apsidal sanctuary, west tower
and south porch. Free Romanesque style. South elevation of nave: chamfered
plinth; projecting gabled porch with heavy clasping buttresses and arch with
chamfered inner order on free-standing shafts, outer order with huge indented
ornament. Single-light windows in porch returns, 3 similar in wall to east
and 5 in north wall; coped east gable with kneelers and finial cross. light
Sanctuary has single-light side windows and 3-light east window; central light
with indented arch, flanked by shafts with pillow capitals. 3-stage west
tower: west window re-set from 1860 west end, unconvential 3-light pattern
in circular surround; single-light windows to 2nd stage and 2-light openings
in belfry, above moulded string; moulded parapet on corbels.
Interior: plain round arch to sanctuary, double-chamfered tower arch. C20
wagon roof (architect's plan for stone vault abandoned after 2 collapses).
Simple C12-style font. Dickinson memorial window of 1893 with infant Samuel;
3 windows by L.C. Evetts with scenes from life of St. Cuthbert, 1955/60.
Listing NGR: NZ0145658375
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.