Description: Allensford Mill Farmhouse and Adjacent Outbuildings
Date Listed: 18 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 240600
OS Grid Reference: NZ0764350319
OS Grid Coordinates: 407643, 550319
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8476, -1.8825
SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER A68 (East Side)
NZ 05 SE (Allensford)
Farmhouse and adjacent
House and outbuilding, C17 and C18. C17 part rubble with dressings and
large quoins; C18 part coursed rubble with dressings; C2Q grey tile roofs.
2 storeys, 3 + 1 bays, irregular. Taller C17 rightbay has 2-light
chamfered mullioned windows;the lower altered, with C20 glazing; coped
gables with moulded kneelers, stepped and corniced end stacks. C18 part
has renewed door to right of C18 stone-surround window; similar window
above (glazing renewed). Left part (outbuilding) has boarded door in alternating-
block surround and slit vents, with 2 stone-surround windows holding old 6-
pane casements above. Left gable coped with moulded kneelers and reduced
stack,stepped and corniced ridge stack. Right return shows stepped plinth,
chamfered window and slit to ground floor and chamfered attic window. Rear
elevation: north bay (outbuilding ) has contemporary outshut with
external stone stair alongside to old 4-panel door into 1st floor room.
Interior: C17 part has heavy roughly-chamfered 1st floor beams and C18
fireplace on south. Corbels for external stack at north and exposed
alongside present stair. Blocked 2-light mullioned window visible from C19
outshut. Transverse chamfered beams in C18 part.
The earlier part of the house maybea bastle remodelled in the late C17
or early C18. At a later date it became the Belsay Castle Inn (licence
held until 1869), and the upper room in the outbuilding served as a
nonconformist chapel, probably Baptist. Outbuilding to far left not of
Listing NGR: NZ0764350319
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.