Description: Church of St John
Date Listed: 18 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 240611
OS Grid Reference: NZ0636052542
OS Grid Coordinates: 406360, 552542
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8676, -1.9024
SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER A691 (North Side)
NZ 05 SE (Snods Edge)
17/240 Church of St. John.
Parish Church, 1836 on new site, replacing St. Andrews, Greymare Hill
(q.v.); organ chamber mid-C19, chancel 1903. Squared stone with cut
dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Nave with south porch and
north-east organ chamber, chancel with 5-sided apse. Early C19 parts
in C13 style, chancel Free C13/C14 style. Chamfered plinth. Porch
has studded door in double-chamfered pointed arch with chamfered hood;
blind lancet over in steeply-pitched coped gable with moulded kneelers.
East of porch 3 lancets; 3 similar windows on north of nave and 2 in west
end. Coped gable with moulded kneelers. West bellcote on moulded corbels:
twin pointed openings under coped gablet. Organ chamber half-hipped to
north with lancet window and corbelled hip. Chancel has 2 early C19
lancets re-set on south, cinquefoil- headed lights to apse and stepped
sill string. Beneath central light, panel with ornate canopied niches,
to Walton-Wilson family. Wrought-iron ridge ornament and finial cross.
Interior: Plain chamfered arch to south door. Double-chamfered 4-centred
arch to organ chamber; richly-moulded chancel arch in C13 style.
Pilasters and string course to chancel; credence table and piscina with
shelf. Minton tiles, good early C20 glass in apse. Nave roof has collar-
beam trusses on moulded corbels. Early C19 creed and commandments boards.
Listing NGR: NZ0636052542
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.