Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 15 April 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 240678
OS Grid Reference: NY9730657758
OS Grid Coordinates: 397306, 557758
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9145, -2.0435
SLALEY SLALEY VILLAGE
NY 95 NE (North side)
9/307 Church of St. Mary.
Parish Church on medieval site, 1832 by Milton Carr; south porch and angle
buttresses 1907. Squared stone (coursed rubble on north) with raised quoins
and tooled ashlar dressings; slate roof. Nave with south porch and north
vestry, chancel Simple Gothic style. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses,
coped gables with moulded kneelers.
Nave has south porch with double doors under 5-pane fanlight in pointed arch
with spiral stops to hoodmould; coped gable with foliate cross finial. East
of porch 2 broad pointed windows in double-chamfered raised surrounds, similar
window in west end. On north of nave, blocked windows (to former gallery)on
either side of vestry; at south-west corner of vestry tall stack with
pedimented cap. Vestry has 16-pane sash in alternating-block surround on
east, with 9-pane sash in stone surround above; corniced stack on north gable.
Chancel has 2 windows on south similar to those in nave, and triplet of broad
lancets to east; finial cross on east gable.
Interior: Wide stilted segmental chancel arch of 1 chamfered order. Pulpit
of 1907 with pierced traceried panels and handrail; cornice with carved foliage.
Similar chancel screen. West window 1st World War memorial glass (soldiers
through the ages) by A.L. Moore and Son; similar glass in south-east window of
Listing NGR: NY9730657758
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.