If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Garden Walls Surrounding Featherstone Castle, with Gatehouse, Gateways, Bastions, Beebole and Mausol
Date Listed: 27 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 240700
OS Grid Reference: NY6739860901
OS Grid Coordinates: 367398, 560901
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9417, -2.5104
FEATHERSTONE HALL BANK
NY 66 SE
(South side, off)
15/96 Garden walls
Garden walls, gatehouse, 3 gateways, bastions, beebole and ruins of mausoleum/
chapel; c.1812-30 for Thomas Wallace; mausoleum of Lady Jane Hope 1828. Squared
rubble. Castellated style. Continuous and extensive walls enclosing large
garden and forecourt.
1.5 to 2.5-metre high walls with flat-coped battlements. Buildings and other
features described in an anti-clockwise direction:
1. Gatehouse and archway near north-west corner. L-plan 2-storey gatehouse
has pointed openings, shield with carved lion (Wallace emblem) and parapet
with bartizan. Archway on east has 4-centred pedestrian and coach arches.
2. Tall buttressed gateway in front of castle forecourt has 4-centred arch
3. Low circular-plan bastion at south-west corner.
4. Gateway near south-east corner has wide 4-centre arch; lower section on
west with pointed doorway.
5. Low circular-plan bastion at south-east corner.
6. Mausoleum and chapel ruins to north of south-east bastion. Roofless 2-
storey mausoleum with pointed 2-light windows and tall semi-octagonal
tower. East wall of chapel on south.
7. Square-plan bastion to north of mausoleum.
8. Square-plan bastion set diagonally at north-east corner.
9. Gateway near north-east corner similar to Item 4 except that coach arch
is now blocked.
10. Beebole to west of gateway facing into garden has 4 pointed openings above
projecting stone shelves.
11. Tall single-storey square-plan tower at north-west corner has projecting
parapet with corner bartizan.
Listing NGR: NY6739860901
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.