Description: Church of the Holy Cross
Date Listed: 24 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 240754
OS Grid Reference: NY7075564030
OS Grid Coordinates: 370755, 564030
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9700, -2.4583
HALTWHISTLE MARKET PLACE
(South side, off)
20/20 Church of the
24/11/67 Holy Cross
Parish church. Early C13; restored 1870 by R.J. Johnson (nave west end and
bellcote rebuilt; lancets inserted in aisles; roof pitches heightened;
interior redecorated). Coursed and random rubble; green slate roofs. Wide
aisled nave (almost square plan) with vestry on north aisle; chancel. Early-
4-bay nave. Buttressed aisles have small lancets and steep pent roofs.
Partly-restored pointed north and south aisle doorways with colonnettes.
3 original lancets on both sides of clerestory. Steep nave roof. Rebuilt,
buttressed west end has 2 tall lancets with round window above. Rebuilt
gabled bellcote with twin openings. Lower 4-bay chancel with lancet windows.
Blocked 2-light, mullioned low-side window on chancel south wall. East end
has clasping buttresses with offsets and group of 3 stepped lancets above
sill string. Steep chancel roof. Gabled 2-bay vestry.
Interior. Nave: arcades have pointed double-chamfered arches, under
hoodmoulds, on filleted responds and circular piers with moulded bases and
irregular octagonal capitals; head-stop over south-east pier; clerestory
windows, with splayed rear arches, set above spandrels of arcade; 1870 arch-
braced, king-post roof. Small trefoil-headed piscina near east end of south
aisle. Chancel: double-chamfered, pointed arch under hoodmould with head-
stops (inner order on filleted responds); semi-octagonal rood-screen corbels
flanking arch; 3 east end lancets have trefoil-headed rear arches and
colonnettes with shaft rings; restored sedilia has 3 stepped-up seats under
trefoil-headed arches on filleted shafts; small piscina in trefoil-headed
niche; roof, similar to nave, possible painted 1881 to desgin by C.E. Kempe.
Fittings, monuments and stained glass. In nave: hexagonal stone font
probably re-cut with crude inscribed decoration and letters: R.P. July 26
1676; roughly-carved circular stoup on column; 4 north aisle windows 1897 by
Morris and Co.; north aisle east window 1891 by C.E. Kempe. In chancel:
Rood screen 1923 by Hicks and Charlewood; 3 elaborate medieval grave slabs
and recumbent effigy of knight (possibly Thomas De Blenkinsopp died 1388)
in sanctuary; 1869 carved marble reredos depicting Nativity of Christ;
Memorial stone to John Ridley died1632 and aedicular wall monument to Wm.
Gibson died 1785, both on south wall; 3 east lancets with 1871 glass by
William Morris; windows depicting 4 Evangelists and 4 Latin Fathers, 1900-04
by C.E. Kempe.
(R.G. Barrett and Canon L. Watson, Church of the Holy Cross, Haltwhistle
Seven Centuries of Worship, 1980) a Church guidebook.
Listing NGR: NY7075164029
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.