British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Martin, Saundby

Description: Church of St Martin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241182

OS Grid Reference: SK7854587982
OS Grid Coordinates: 478545, 387982
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3829, -0.8206

Location: Saundby Road, Bole, Nottinghamshire DN22 9ER

Locality: Saundby
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN22 9ER

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Saundby, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)

8/99 Church of
St Martin
G.V. I

Parish church, C13, C14, C15, C16; chancel restored by Pearson
1885-6; N aisle by Weatherley and Jones 1891. Irregularly
coursed ashlar and squared rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and
slate roofs. West tower nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry,
south porch. West tower 1504 ashlar, 3 stages on plinth, 2
string courses battlemented parapet, 8 crocketed pinnacles, 2
diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs; plain buttreses to NE and
SE, 4 setoffs that to north engaged with aisle. West window C15
cove moulded surround containing 3 round headed lights with
chamfered mullions and 4 similar lights above. Third stage has 4
double lancet bell openings with cusped heads; C19 iron clock
dial to west. North aisle, C19, 3 bays irregularly coursed
ashlar, 4 buttresses, 2 setoffs; moulded parapet; battlemented
east gable. To east large decorated triple lancet with panel
tracery; to east moulded blocked doorway. Above, battlemented
gable. To right 2 square-headed openings with label moulds, each
containing a triple lancet with decorated tracery and chamfered
mullions. East window similar. Vestry, C19, irregularly coursed
ashlar chamfered plinth lead roof, moulded coped eaves; single
diagonal buttress to west, 2 setoffs, a pair of clasping
buttresses to the east, 2 setoffs. To east, square headed
chamfered and rebated opening containing double Decorated lancet
with chamfered mullion; to west, moulded blocked doorway.
Chancel, C19, 2 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, slate roof,
chamfered plinth, moulded string course, battlemented parapet, 2 2
crocketed pinnacles either side, battlemented east gable with
cross. North side has square headed coved opening containing
triple Decorated lancet with coved mullions; to west, chamfered
blocked doorway. South side has central rebated priest's door,
flanked to west by square headed chamfered opening with label
mould containing triple decorated lancet with cusped heads. East
end has 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs plus plinth; shallow
arched coved opening with plain label mould, containing triple
lancet with cusped heads panel tracery and coved mullions. Nave,
c.1504 bays, moulded plinth, string course, battlemented
parapet, 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs on south side only. Rainwater
heads dated 1891. To west, square headed coved opening with
label mould and stops, containing double lancet with Decorated
tracery, and chamfered mullion. To east C19 pointed arched coved
opening with label mould and mask stops containing triple lancet
with cusped heads. Beyond to east, square headed chamfered and
rebated opening with label mould containing C19 double lancet
with Decorated tracery. South porch, C14, restored C19 chamfered
pointed arched opening with moulded head and label mould with
leaf stops. Steep pitched scissor-braced slate roof, coped gable
with cross. South door has Cl5 chamfered arched opening. C19
door with elaborate hinges. Nave north arcade C13, 2 bays plus
extra bay to east central round pier on broached square base with
moulded square capital; keeled responds on square and octagonal
bases with square capitals. Rectangular eastern pier. Arches
chamfered and rebated. South side has central pointed arched
opening flanked by single square headed openings all splayed.
Roof C19 with octagonal capitals carrying curved braces to the
beams; arch braces to principal rafters. Curved braces from
brackets to ridge and decorative wind braces to purlins. Font
C19: square base with 5 octagonal columns carrying egg-shaped
bowl with lozenge frieze on rim. Tower arch C13, double
chamfered and rebated with moulded octagonal imposts. C19
perpendicular style screen, 7 panels. Fragment of C15 glass in
west window. North aisle has C19 stained glass in all 4 windows.
In NE corner blocked doorway. C19 roof with decorative
windbraces. Panelling with moulding and cross at west end of
chancel in place of chancel arch. Screen C19 Decorated style, 7
panels. In north east corner, monument to John Helwys, 1599,
alabaster. Rectangular panelled table base with moulded edge;
carved balusters framing inscription (now detached); strap work
frieze with moulded cornice; above, triangular pediment with
central boss flanked by square baluster finials with pyramidal
caps. East wall has C19 alabaster and mosaic reredos . South
wall has to east, elaborate C14 ogee headed piscina. East window
by Clayton and Bell 1865: One north and 2 south windows by Kempe
1885. C19 king post roof with octagonal corbels carrying arch
braces to chamfered ridge. Panels have large carved central

Listing NGR: SK7854887981

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.