British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Osberton Hall, Worksop

Description: Osberton Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 13 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241332

OS Grid Reference: SK6270279893
OS Grid Coordinates: 462702, 379893
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3123, -1.0603

Location: Chatsworth Road, Clumber and Hardwick, Nottinghamshire S81 0UF

Locality: Worksop
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: S81 0UF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(North side)

4/123 Osberton Hall
G.V. II*

Country house. C18, remodelled by William Wilkins, 1806, for F.
F. Foljambe; top floor to service wing by A. Poynter, 1848;
porte cochere, west wing, and remodelling of interior, 1872-1880
by William Burn and J.McIver Anderson for F. G. Foljambe;
alterations to service wing by G. M. T. Foljambe c.1970. Brick,
stuccoed, with hipped slate roofs. Ashlar dressings; first
floor and sill bands, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and
plain parapet. 2 storeys plus attics, 7 bays. Main south west
front has 2 facades; house, to right has symmetrical front with
central porte cochere with 2 pairs of Doric columns, 2 pairs of
flanking clustered pilasters, and antae framing doorway with
moulded eared architrave and 2 leaf panelled door, flanked by
single plain sashes with bracketed sills and eared architraves.
Flanked again by 2 plain sashes with bracketed sills, eared
architraves, pulvinated friezes and hoods. Above, projecting
central bay containing central French window, flanked by single
narrow plain sashes, and beyond, 2 further plain sashes, all with
eared architraves with keystones. Above again, moulded pediment
with Diocletian window with keystone. North west wing, to left,
has central canted 2 storey bay window with 3 plain sashes on
each floor, those on ground floor with pulvinated friezes and
hoods, those above with projecting keystones. To right, canted
extruded corner containing single French window, flanked to right
by single plain sash; above, single plain sash and to its left,
a smaller plain sash; above again, 3 pedimented dormers each
witha glazing bar sash. North west end has 2 storey canted bay
window to right, and 4 plain sashes on each floor; above, single
gabled dormer. Rear elevation has to right, projecting canted 2
storey bay window and 10 plain sashes; above, 12 plain sashes,
and above again, 8 gabled dormers. Service wing to south east,
coursed squared rubble; top floor removed and length reduced
c.1970. 2 storeys, 4 bays, one plain and 2 glazing bar sashes,
and to their right, ashlar doorcase with rebated panels; above,
4 glazing bar sashes and single roof stack. In return angle, C20
flat roofed porch, coursed squared rubble with parapet; 2
glazing bar sashes and half glazed door. At rear canted 2 storey
bay window and 6 plain sashes; above, 5 plain sashes. House has
exceptionally well preserved interior, c.1880. Entrance hall has
2 niches containing timber figures. Other rooms have moulded
cornices and architraves and Classical style fireplaces, some
with marble surrounds and curbs. Galleried 2 storey hall has
moulded architraves, dentillated cornice, and coffered soffit to
gallery; above, coffered ceiling with coved rectangular light
well with Classical ornament. Hall has elliptical headed niches
and fitted oak display cases of birds. South-west wall has
moulded marble fireplace and curb with large mahogany surround
with heraldic beasts carrying shields and lintel with carved
panels; cornice with egg and dart ornament. At south east end,
stairwell with modillioned lintel and 5 Ionic pilasters,
containing panelled oak open well staircase with panelled square
newels, carved and turned balusters and ball finials. Above, 3
pairs of cabled Ionic piers and 3 clustered matching pilasters,
supporting coffered ceiling with dentillated cornice and oval
domed top light with petal glazing. Gallery has balustrade
matching stairs, 3 doors and at north-west end, central organ
case flanked by single round headed doorways. Dining room has
moulded cornice with Classical ornament and grisaille panels;
south-west wall has central marble fireplace with elaborate
curved brackets and relief panels, flanked by single niches
containing busts on herms. South-east wall has segmental headed
blind arch with impost band, moulded soffit and hood mould.
Library has moulded and dentillated cornice, and is fully fitted
with oak bookcases with curved brackets to deep cornices,
containing original C19 volumes. South-west wall has central
marble fireplace and curb with panelled oak surround and
mantelshelf in Classical style. Drawing room has deep plaster
frieze and modillioned cornice, and panelled Adam style ceiling
with central round panel flanked by single rectangular panels
with figures. North-east wall has central Classical style marble
fireplace with paired, cabled Corinthian piers, panelled frieze
and lintel and deep cornice. Above, carved and gilt overmantel
in C19 Rococo style. Sources: Pevsner, H. A. Johnson (Thoroton
Society), G. M. T. Foljambe.

Listing NGR: SK6270279893

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.