British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St John the Evangelist, Carlton in Lindrick

Description: Church of St John the Evangelist

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 241376

OS Grid Reference: SK5882683902
OS Grid Coordinates: 458826, 383902
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3487, -1.1178

Location: Church Lane, Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire S81 9EG

Locality: Carlton in Lindrick
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: S81 9EG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

South Carlton
(East side)

4/20 Church of St.John
the Evangelist
G.V. I

Church. Pagan, C7, Cll, C12, mid C12, late C12, c.1190, C14,
c.1425, C15, C19, 1831. Restorations took place 1831, c.1936 and
1967. Coursed rubble and ashlar. Tower, nave, north and south
aisles, north chapel, south vestry, chancel. The Cll tower was
diagonally buttressed between 1417 and 1443, given a south west
staircase and topped with an embattled belfry with 8 crocketted
pinnacles and single central gargoyle to each side. The Cll part
is in 4 stages marked respectively from the base by coursed
rubble, roughly dressed rectangular blocks, herringbone and
coursed rubble interspersed with herringbone. There are 2 string
courses, one square in section, the 2nd at the junction of the
Cll and C15 stages is C15. The west mid C12 doorway was moved
here from the south in 1831. The inner jambs and arch around the
double wooden door are decorated with chevron. Either side are 3
engaged columns with volute capitals. The inner support an arch
decorated with chevron on front and soffit separated by a narrow
band of pointed roll moulding. The outer 2 support moulded
arches. There is a hood mould with head label stops. Above is
an opening with 2 cusped, arched, lights under a flat head with
hood mould over. To its right is a small rectangular stair
light. Above on west and east sides are single coupled Cll bell
openings. The lintels are carved to form 2 arches which are
separated by a plain shaft. In the C15 belfry are four 3-light
arched openings with cusping and hood mould. To the right of the
west opening is a mall rectangular stair light. Under the north
and south openings are single C19 clock faces. Abutting the
south west buttress is the base of the C14 church cross. Abutting
the south and north aisle walls are single coursed rubble C12
nave quoins. The C19 buttressed north wall with embattled
parapet is set on plinth. There are 3 windows to the C12 aisle,
each with 3 arched and cusped lights under a flat head with a
hood mould over. The c.1425 parapetted clerestorey with
crocketted pinnacles is of coursed rubble leading to ashlar and
has 2 arched windows each with 3 cusped lights. The c.l190 north
chapel of St. Thomas A Beckett, restored 1967, has a slate roof.
There is an arched doorway with cavetto moulding and hood mould
over. To the left is an arched 3-light window with cusping and
hood mould. The east wall of the chapel is of coursed rubble and
is set on a plinth on the north side. There is a single pointed
arched window with a single similar smaller blocked window above.
Below the bottom window is a chamfered string course broken by a
headstone. The coursed rubble embattled chancel has 6 crocketted
pinnacles with a single ridge cross at its east end. The east
wall also has single gargoyles at the angles and is set on a
chamfered plinth. The north wall of the chancel has a small
blocked arched opening. In the east wall is a C15 arched 5-
light window with panel tracery and hood mould with head label
stops. Abutting the wall are 3 stone memorials to Martha, John,
John and Elizabeth Wordsworth 1790-1827, to Ann and John Unwin
1812-1814 and to Ann ... 1819. The buttressed south chancel wall
has an arched window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. To the
left, set on a plinth, is a projecting embattled C19 ashlar porch
with arched doorway and hood mould. Over the inner arched,
cavetto moulded C14 priests' doorway is a re-used asymmetrical
pagan stone carved in relief with a sun and moon and 2 stars
under a semi-circular moulding. Carved into this is a later
cross. Outside in the spandrels are carved fan-shaped sprays.
Above is a carved shield. West of the porch is the C19 south
vestry, set on a plinth with embattled parapet and arched window
with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. The angle buttressed 1831
south aisle with embattled parapet and single crocketted
pinnacles at the angles is set on a plinth and has 3 arched
windows each with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. The
parapetted clerestorey with 2 crocketted pinnacles has 3 arched
windows each with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. Interior;
nave and aisles are separated by 3 bay arcades. The mid C12
north arcade has moulded arches supported on round piers and
capitals decorated with volute leaves, the south arcade is an
1831 imitation of the north. The Cll moulded tower arch with
angle and soffit roll is supported on the east side on 2 pairs of
engaged shafts with bell capitals decorated with lancet-like
leaves and fillets of cable moulding. There is a hood mould over
with label stops, that to the south decorated with lancet-like
leaves. The west, earlier C7 arch with square edges rests on
imposts. The restored C12 chancel arch jambs consist of single
square piers which have part way up single engaged columns carved
out of the corners. The scalloped capitals have ball decoration
on the north abaci and interlacing on the south impost, these
support the double chamfered arch. The late C12 north
aisle/north chapel arch is off centre and is supported on 2
keeled shafts with plain capitals. The north chapel/chancel arch
has late C12 keeled roll moulding and is Supported on keeled
shafts, the east one having volute decoration on the capital.
Between nave and north aisle is a large opening. The north wall
of the nave has an arched deep splayed Cll opening above the
arcade. The chancel north wall has 2 deep splayed Cll arched
openings. In the north chancel wall is a chamfered, arched, tomb
recess. The south wall has 2 arched piscinas and the organ
recess. Above the tower arch is a C20 gallery. The chancel roof
is supported on carved corbels. The nave and north aisle roofs
have C15 heraldic bosses restored c.1936. Lying against the east
chancel wall is the Cll stone high altar. The north aisle
contains the 1170 altar of St. Thomas A Beckett with lead seal.
The south aisle has a C12 stone altar with incised crosses. The
font is C12. In the north aisle is a C16 wooden chest wth metal
fitments and an iron chest inscribed "Carlton in Lindrick R. P.
Goodenough Rector J. Whitehead Church Warden 1813". The pews,
pulpit etc. are late C19. Either side of the tower arch are
iron brackets for hanging the Maid Garlands. On the east wall of
the north aisle is a C15 alabaster carving of The Holy Trinity.
The east window in the north chapel has C15 stained glass. On
the north wall of the south aisle is a brass plaque to Elizabeth
Catherine and Richard Letwell 1792. On the north chancel wall is
a C18 monument decorated with a brocken pediment containing a
cartouche. On the south chancel wall is a hatchment inscribed
G.IV Rex. On the south nave wall are 2 others of Ramsden
quartering Smyth of Heath Hall Yorks. 1753 and of Ramsden
impaling Appleby of Wooton Lincs 1783.

Listing NGR: SK5882683900

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.