If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241460
OS Grid Reference: SK7755975330
OS Grid Coordinates: 477559, 375330
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2693, -0.8385
Explore more of the area around East Drayton, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 77 NE EAST DRAYTON NORTH GREEN
1/20 Church of St.Peter
1.2.67 and St. Paul
Parish church. Late C12, C13, C15, restored 1857 by
Ecclesiastical Commissioners, nave and aisles restored 1873, nave
roof restored 1982. Ashlar and dressed coursed rubble. Metal
roof to nave, lead to chancel and slate to aisles. Tower, nave,
north and south aisles, south porch and chancel. All parapets
embattled. Diagonally buttressed tower set on a plinth with 2
heavilymoulded bands over, of 4 stages with a string course at
each juncture. The parapet has 7 remaining crocketed pinnacles
of 8 with 8 gargoyles under. West doorway with moulded pointed
arch, hood mould and remnants of label stops. Above is a single
arched 3 light window with hood mould and worn label stops. In
the bell chamber are 4 arched 2 light openings with panel
tracery. There are single clock faces to the south and east
sides and 3 small rectangular stair lights to the south.
Abutting the north wall is an ashlar lean-to. The west wall of
the north aisle is buttressed including 2 large coursed rubble
sloping buttresses. There are 3 arched 3 light windows with
cusping, the right window replacing a doorway. There is a single
similar window in the east wall and 4 similar windows in the
clerestory. The buttressed north chancel has a string course
which extends to the east wall, it is broken by the buttresses
and the late C12 chamfered arched doorway with imposts, dogtooth
hood mould and worn label stops. To the left is a single arched
3 light window with cusping. The east wall has a similar larger
4 light window. The south chancel is set on a plinth and has2
similar 3 light windows. The east wall of the south aisle has a
similar, smaller 3 light window. The diagonally buttressed south
aisle is on a plinth with moulded band over. There are 3 similar
3 light windows. Between the 2 western most windows is the
diagonally buttressed and embattled porch which is set on a
plinth with 3 heavy moulded bands. The buttresses rise to
crocketed pinnacles, 6 in all, and are decorated part way up with
single rostra. There are single gargoyles to the east and west
sides. The pointed and moulded arched entrance has a hood mould
over with worn angel label stops and finial. The gutteringover
terminates in worn beast label stops. The inner porch roof is
supported on moulded ribs, in turn supported on corbels with
decorative stone carvings under, some in the form of human heads
and animals. In the south wall is an ogee arched niche with
finial, over is a hood mould and worn label stops. Under is a
small niche consisting of an ogee and inverted ogee arch. The
round moulded arched inner doorway has a wooden door. The west
wall of the south aisle has an arched 3 light window with
cusping. There are 4 similar windows in the clerestorey.
Interior. C13 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches
with broach stops supported on octagonal piers and responds with
moulded capitals, the south east respond has an embattled
capital. There are hood moulds over on the nave sides, that to
the northern arcade having 2 label stops. The moulded tower arch
has a single ashlar carved angel holding a coloured shield in the
apex. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered chancel arch is
supported on corbels. Either side of the chancel arch are 2
angels with a further single angel in the apex - all similar to
that above the tower arch. The south chancel wall was a
rectangular piscina. The south aisle south wall has an ogee
arched piscina. The contemporary nave roof has carved and
painted decorative bosses, including some with grotesque faces.
The north aisle roof also has some decorative bosses. The C17
altar rails have twisted balusters. The fine C15 canopied and
vaulted screen is decorated with bosses, trefoils and daggers.
The remaining furniture is C19 and C20 with an octagonal font.
In the nave is a C14 floor slab decorated with a stylised cross.
Removed from the roof is a lead sheet, primitively etched,
depicting a house and dated "RH 1792".
Listing NGR: SK7755975327
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.