Church of St John the Baptist, Clarborough and Welham
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241470
OS Grid Reference: SK7346283279
OS Grid Coordinates: 473462, 383279
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3413, -0.8981
Location: Church Lane, Clarborough, Nottinghamshire DN22 9NQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Clarborough and Welham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 78 SW CLARBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
4/4 Church of St.John
1.2.67 the Baptist
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1874 by James Fowler.
Dressed stone and coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings.
Slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths, string courses,
moulded parapets, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave,
north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Two stage west
tower has a pair of diagonal buttresses, eaves band, 4
gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. West
front has C19 double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4
C13 cusped double lancet bell openings with chamfered reveals and
hood moulds. 3 bay nave has single gargoyles to north, gabled
chimney on north east corner and to south, 3 gargoyles. 4 bay
north aisle has 5 buttresses, 3 setoffs. To west, single C19
cusped ogee head double lancet in square headed moulded opening.
North side has 4 similar lancets, C15, with tracery restored.
The easternmost is smaller. To east again, C19 pointed doorway
in square reveal with hood mould. 2 bay chancel has pair of
diagonal buttresses to east and single buttress to south, all 3
setoffs. East end has C15 quadruple lancet with cusped heads,
coved and chamfered reveal and hood mould. South side has to
west, single C15 double lancet with cusped ogee heads, square
reveal and hood mould. To east, single C16 triple lancet with
cusped heads, elliptical opening and splayed reveal. 3 bay south
aisle has 3 buttresses with 4 or 5 setoffs and above, 3
gargoyles. South side has 2 C15 cusped ogee headed double
lancets in square headed reveal with hood mould. Similar east
and west windows. Single bay south porch has a pair of corner
buttresses of 2 setoffs. Single cusped lancet on each side with
square head and hood mould. Moulded doorway with hood mould with
mask stops. Inner doorway has moulded C14 opening with hood
mould and 2 miniature gabled buttresses. Tower arch, C14,
restored C19, has double chamfer and rebate, moulded imposts and
hood mould with foliate stops. Tower chamber has to north large
marble and slate Classical C18 memorial with female figure and
draped urn and missing inscription panel. Attributed to the
Fishers of York. Nave arcade, C13, has 2 round piers with water
holding bases and moulded octagonal caps. Double chamfered and
rebated arches with keeled responds. South arcade, C14, has 2
octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, double
chamfered and rebated arches and half pier responds. Low pitched
roof with corbels carrying curved brackets to tie beams, foliate
bosses and moulded principal timbers. North aisle has 4 centred
arched opening to vestry at east end. Vestry has single Tudor
arched door. C19 lean-to roof on corbels. Chancel arch, C19 in
C14 style, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal imposts
and hood mould with foliate stops. Chancel has to north organ
opening and doorway. To east, panelled timber reredos and window
with stained glass by Kempe, 1900. C19 principal rafter roof
with curved brackets on corbels. South aisle has C19 lean-to
roof. Fittings include C19 traceried panelled octagonal stone
pulpit, plain timber lectern, octagonal font with 4 traceried
panels on bowl and wooden lid. Plain deal pews, pierced and
carved stalls and desks. Classical style war memorial, 1918,
brass, 1752, 3 brasses C20.
Listing NGR: SK7346283281
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.