British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Clayworth

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 241485

OS Grid Reference: SK7263488428
OS Grid Coordinates: 472634, 388428
Latitude/Longitude: 53.3877, -0.9093

Locality: Clayworth
Local Authority: Bassetlaw District Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN22 9AD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Clayworth, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(east side)
1/19 Church of
1.2.67 St. Peter
G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15; restored 1874-75 by John
Oldrid Scott. Ashlar, dressed stone, snecked stone, coursed
rubble; ashlar dressings. Lead, graduated slate and plain tile
roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle, south porch,
chancel, north chancel chapel, vestry, south chancel chapel.
West tower, 2 stages, has plinth, string course, eaves band with
masks, 8 gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed
pinnacles. West side has restored late C14 triple lancet with
panel tracery and hood mould with mask stops. Above, single
small lancet. Above, to south, clock. Second stage has 4 C15
double lancet bell openinqs with cusped quatrefoil heads, moulded
reveals and coved hood moulds. Nave clerestorey has moulded
eaves band and coped gable with cross. On each side, 3 late C14
double lancets with cusped ogee heads and Decorated tracery, in
square headed reveals with remains of sill band. North aisle, 2
bays, C15, has coursed rubble foundation, deep moulded plinth,
chamfered eaves and coped gable; single corner and single
diagonal buttress, 2 set-offs. West end has triple lancet with 4
centred arched head and splayed reveal. North side has to east,
a cusped head triple lancet with square headed chamfered reveal.
To west, chamfered doorway with 4 centred arched head. South
aisle, 3 bays, restored C19, has chamfered plinth, plain eaves,
pair of corner buttresses to west, and 2 intermediate buttresses,
all single set-off. Coped gable. South side has 3 restored C13
triple lancets with intersecting tracery. West end has a similar
C19 window with roll moulded mullions and reveal and hood mould.
South porch, C19, timber framed, has chamfered plinth. Entrance
has cambered lintel and single unglazed flanking lights. Above,
sundial and pierced bargeboards. Low pitched principal rafter
roof. South door, C12, has chamfered and rebated reveal and hood
mould with beast mask stops. Chancel, single bay, has chamfered
plinth and eaves, string course, coped gable with cross. Single
buttress to north east, pair of corner buttresses to south east,
all gabled and with 2 set-offs. East end has single C19 triple
lancet with cusped trefoil heads and intrusive wheel motif, hood
mould and mask stops. South side has single C19 triple lancet
with intersecting tracery, roll moulded mullions and reveal, and
hood mould with mask stops. North aisle chapel, 3 bays, has
moulded plinth, chamfered eaves, octagonal chimney on north east
corner, single diagonal and 3 intermediate buttresses, 2 set-
offs. North side has 3 C14 triple lancets with cusped oqee heads
and chamfered and rebated square headed reveals. East end has to
right a similar window and to left, C14 style moulded doorway
with hood mould. South chancel chapel, C13, has chamfered
plinth, pair of corner buttresses to east, one tile hung and one
coped gable. To east, C13, triple lancet with intersecting
tracery and hood mould, and a similar window to south, both
restored. Nave north arcade, C12, 2 bays, has chamfered and cove
moulded cruciform pier with cruciform base and 5 masks in place
of capital. Double chamfered and rebated arches with moulded
impost to east, and single masks set above peaks. South arcade,
C13, 2 bays, has similar pier with approximate stiff leaf
capital. Cove and roll moulded arches with moulded intrados and
2 octagonal responds with plain capitals. East end has traces of
former gable. Bands of blind arcading along tops of walls. Very
low pitched panelled ceiling with 2 bands of quatrefoil panels.
Tower arch, C14, has run out cove and roll moulding. Tower
chamber has stained glass west window by Kempe, 1891. North
aisle has stained glass east window, 1896. Roof, C15, with
crenellated wall plate, moulded timbers and single re-set corbel.
South aisle has 4 stained glass windows, 2 of 1876, one undated,
one 1897. 2 are by Kempe. Roof and wall plate as north aisle.
North aisle chapel has C13 chamfered and rebated arch to west,
and C19 timber screen to east, forming vestry. East end has C19
corner fireplace and to south, square aumbry with C18 door and
hinges. Westernmost window has stained glass, 1896, and east
window has stained glass 1905. C19 king post roof withcurved
braces. Chancel arch C13, has cove and roll moulding, and
octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Canopied crested
timber screen with cross, 8 bays; C19 with earlier fragments.
Chancel, 3 bays, has to north 2 chamfered and rebated arches with
central pseudo-pier and moulded responds with mask corbels to
east. Fresco decoration, c.1903. Remains of string course. To
east, a square aumbry. East end has oak panelling and window
with stained glass by Kempe, 1875. To south, restored cusped
head aumbry. South side has C19 stained glass window and oak
panelling. C19 vaulted panelled timber roof. South chancel
chapel has to west C15 parclose screen, 3 bays, with chamfered
reveals. East end has oak panelling and C19 stained glass window
with small stained glass light above. South side has C19 stained
glass window. Vaulted panelled timber roof with ogee curved
braces. Fittings include C17 panelled oak benches with square
newels and peg top finials, some restored. C19 pierced and
turned oak choir stalls with 2 Cl7 scrolled ends and poppyheads
and 2 C16 plain ends. Traceried panelled C19 pulpit; plain
lectern on turned shaft; font with traceried panelled octagonal
bowl and stem and matching cover with cross; disused C17
hourglass font. South porch contains C15 octagonal stoup with
canted corners. C18 parish chest. C19 large-bore heating system
with stacked tube radiators with zigzag ornament. Monuments
include large chest tomb with tendril and fleur de lys ornament
and panel with Arms, to Humphry Fitzwilliam, 1559. Brass with
half-effigy and Arms to John Tonstall, 1630. Good amateur brass
with verse and illustration, to John Hartshorne, 1678. Baroque
style wall monuments, 1700, 1702, 1720. Aediculed monument with
Ionic columns, broken scrolled pediment and Arms, 1722. Draped
oval cartouche with Arms, 1732. Adam style marble and slate
tablet, 1774. Large marble and slate monument by Westmacott with
draped relief panel and above, panel with draped urn, to Francis
Otter, 1813. Egyptian style wall monuments, 1831, 1835, 1837 (2).
Other wall tablets 1801, 1808, 1823, 1852, 1856, 1864. Brasses
and small tablets 1884, 1894, 1909, 1915, 1917, 1936 and later.
Rolls of Honour for both World Wars.

Listing NGR: SK7263488427

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.