If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 1 December 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 241768
OS Grid Reference: SK7208243037
OS Grid Coordinates: 472082, 343037
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9798, -0.9279
Explore more of the area around Car Colston, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
CAR COLSTON CHURCH STREET
SK 74 SW
(south east side)
4/24 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Tower restored 1911.
Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, with plain tile roofs.
Chamfered plinth and eaves. Coped gables. Single C20 external
gable stack. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
south porch. West tower, C13 and C14, 2 stages, has deep
moulded plinth, string course and coved eaves with 2 gargoyles
each side. Crenellated parapet with 4 crenellated square
pinnacles and 4 intermediate crocketed pinnacles. Squat setback
octagonal spire with crocketed finial and weather-vane. To
west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. To east, pair of plain
buttresses. First stage has, to south, small C13 trefoiled
lancet and clock. To west, a chamfered lancet and above,
trefoiled lancet and clock. Second stage has 4 transomed C15
double lancets with panel tracery and hood moulds. Nave
clerestory has to south 3 C19 double lancets with cusped heads.
North aisle, mid C14, 3 bays, restored, has sill band. North
side has 4 buttresses and north east corner a single buttress,
all 2 setoffs. North side has central ogee headed blocked
doorway with crocketed finial, hood mould and mask stops. To
left, C19 ogee headed triple lancet, Decorated tracery and hood
mould with foliate stops. To right, C14 double lancet with ogee
heads, flowing tracery, hood mould and restored foliate stops.
East end has C14 double lancet with Decorated tracery and hood
mould. Chancel, mid C14, 3 bays, has to north 2 triple lancets
with reticulated tracery and plain hood moulds. East end has
restored 5 light lancet with complex reticulated tracery, hood
mould and a mask stop. South side has 2 gabled buttresses, 2
setoffs. To left, small double lancet with cusped ogee heads.
To its right, cove and roll moulded doorway with hood mould and
mask stops. To right again, 2 restored triple lancets similar to
north side. South aisle, 4 bays, mid C14, restored C19. Moulded
sill band. South side has single buttress, 2 setoffs, and a
half-gabled diagonal buttress at each corner, that to east with
carved Arms and tablet with Latin inscription to Thoroton family.
To west, C16 double lancet with round heads, square headed reveal
and hood mould. To right of south porch, 2 C19 Decorated double
lancets with hood moulds and stops. South porch has coped gable
with kneelers and cross. To south, 2 setback buttresses, 2
setoffs plus plinths. Restored south doorway has moulded and
rebated reveal, impost band and hood mould. C19 scissor braced
principal rafter roof. Inner south door has shallow cove mould
and impost band, chamfered outer reveal with restored shafts with
capitals with nailhead bands. Hood mould with stops. Weather
stripped C14 plank door with double ogee head and original
furniture including timber cased lock inscribed '1674 W B. T W.'
Nave arcades, mid C14, 4 bays, have each 3 octagonal piers and
matching responds with chamfered square plinths and octagonal
bases. Octagonal capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches
with hood moulds and uncarved stops. C19 scissor braced roof
with moulded tie beams and curved brackets. Tower arch, C13,
triple chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and a mask stop.
C19 plank screen. Tower chamber has doorway with C16 single
plank door. North aisle has C19 lean-to roof with collars and
arch braces. Easternmost window has stained glass, late C19.
South aisle has similar roof with 3 C14 corbels. South side has,
to east, small C14 ogee headed piscina. Chancel arch, C14,
restored, double chamfered and rebated, with simple chamfered
responds. To south east, remains of rood loft door. Chancel
north side has, to east, square plain aumbry and above, foliate
C14 bracket and C20 figure. East end has large C20 oak reredos
with naturalistic ornament. South side has to east, restored C14
piscina with angel corbel, nodding ogee hood with crocketed
finial and mask stops. To its right, large C14 triple sedilia
with cusped ogee heads, crocketed finials and pinnacles, and
clustered shafts with foliate imposts. To its right, C18 plank
door and lancet with patterned stained glass. Above, easternmost
window has stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1872. C19
principal rafter roof with arch braces and C20 shields attached
to corbels. Fittings include plain C13 tub font on round base,
C17 octagonal panelled oak pulpit with chip carved band. C19
clustered shaft timber lectern. C19 benches and C20 choir stalls
with shaped ends and decorated fleur de lys finials. 7 benches
with shaped ends, C16, and single C15 bench with shaped ends and
lozenge finials. Early C19 chest with bracket feet. Small C18
table with turned legs. Poor box made from moulded and chamfered
C15 beam end. 2 clergy desks made from C15 benches with armrest
ends and lozenge finials. Notable C18 altar rail, with
projecting semi-circular central bay and turned and barley sugar
balusters. Memorials include stamped brass to Gregorius Henson,
1613, with doggerel verse. Brass to Blagg family, 1876. Brass
to Robert Thoroton signed 'Gawthorp Sc. London', 1905. 2
repainted hatchments, probably to Blagg family. Marble and slate
tablet with apron, pilasters, cornice and urn, to Thomas Blagg,
1795. Classical tablet to Francis Blagg, 1814, signed'wood'.
Stone tablets to Blagg family, 2 C19, 2 C20. Canopied timber war
memorial tablet with curved brackets to tiled hood.
Listing NGR: SK7207743036
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.