If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Group of Headstones in Angle Between Chancel and South Transept of Old Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 23 June 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 241817
OS Grid Reference: SK6950333840
OS Grid Coordinates: 469503, 333840
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8975, -0.9682
Explore more of the area around Colston Bassett, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
COLSTON BASSETT NEW ROAD
SK63SE (east side, off)
4/10 Group of headstones
- in angle between
chancel and south
transept of old
Church of St Mary
Group of headstones. 1751 and early C19. Slate. The following 6
are of listable quality: east to west.
1. Tall, rectangular, Classical with fine incised details including
columns to each side each with a female figure, and a globe in the
centre. To Sarah Marriott wife of Wm. Marriott d.1814. Signed
2. Tall, finely cut with a shield panel. To Eliz. Sumner wife of John
Sumner d.1815. Signed 'Wood'.
3. Small, simple with two round-faced winged angels. To Ann wife of
Wm. Roe d.1751. Also John Kirkby d.1752.
4. Classical finely cut details including semi-circular panel with
female figure and sheep. To Mary Sumner Relict of the late John
Sumner d.1814. Signed 'Wood'.
5. Classical with fine cut detail including side columns with urns and
a semi-circular panel at the top depicting a pastoral scene. To
John Sumner d.1812 aged 80 years. Signed 'Wood'.
6. Classical, with fine details including a semi-circular panel with
anchor and cross. To John Sumner son of John and Mary Sumner
d.1806. Signed 'Wood'.
Wood was a sculptor from Bingham.
Listing NGR: SK6950333840
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.