If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Headstones in Churchyard of Church of St Giles, South of Church
Date Listed: 23 June 1989
English Heritage Building ID: 241833
OS Grid Reference: SK6848635508
OS Grid Coordinates: 468486, 335508
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9126, -0.9830
Explore more of the area around Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
CROPWELL BISHOP FERN ROAD
SK63NE (north side)
1/25 Headstones in
- Churchyard of
Church of St Giles,
south of Church
Headstones. C18 and early C19. Mainly slate. East to west:
1. Small, rectangular, very ornate, to: William Felstead d.1759.
Signed J. Sparrow.
2. Shaped, delicate, to John son of John and Ann Briggs. d.1794.
Signed Wood, Bingham.
3. Rectangular, delicate, to: Francis German and Ann his wife
d.1771 and 1790.
4. Small, shaped, ornate to: John and Thomas, sons of Thomas and
Ann German d.1778 aged 17 years and 1782 aged 19 years. Signed
5. Small, shaped, delicate, to: Thomas German d.1781 aged 44 years.
6. Large, shaped, classical, divided vertically, to: Richard Smith
d.1802 and Ann relict of Richard Smith d.1806.
7. Rectangular, with moulded surround very finely cut, to: George
White d.2lst August 1720 in his 89th year.
8. Small, rectangular, fairly plain, to: George White d.1777.
9. Tall, rectangular, ornate, to: Mary, the wife of Robert German,
10. Small, rectangular, to: Charles Bosworth d.l2th October 1728
aged 72 years.
11. Rectangular, classical with relief carving, to: Samuel White,
Gent. who was, for 30 years one of the High Constables of the
hundred of Bingham. d.1813.
12. Shaped, to: Charles Bosworth d.1772 in his 80th year.
13. Shaped, classical, to: Mary, the wife of Robert Kirkman d.1805.
Also Isaac their son. Signed Wood.
14. Small, freestone,part-obscured. Early to mid C18.
15. Shaped, to: Mary the wife of William Hemsley d.1788.
16. Large, shaped, classical with relief in round panel, to: Richard
Mabbott and Mary his wife d.1780 and 1795. Signed Wood.
17. Small, rectangular, with moulded edge and relief carving in
corners and an oval panel, to: Amy Mabbott wife of William
18. Tall, shaped, to: Robert Kirkman d.1773. Signed W. Barnes.
19. Very broad, divided vertically,to: Robert Kirkman d.1767 and
Sarah wife of Robert Kirkman d.1761. Also William and Sarah
their grandchildren who died in infancy.
20. Shaped with relief winged cherubs head in roundel, to: Elenor the
wife of William Wilford d.1778. Also William Wilford d.1784.
21. Freestone, small, shaped, to: Richard ?. Early C18.
22. Rectangular, classical with delicate flowers to: Joseph Hemsley
23. Shaped, delicate, to Elizabeth relict of John Pilkington d.1792
aged 75 years.
24. Shaped, classical, to: John Pilkington d.1804 in his 55th year.
25. Broad, shaped, classical, very fine with roundel in head to:
John Pilkington d.1783.
26. Tall, shaped with relief in roundel in head, to: Thomas Pilkington
he married Mildred the daughter of William and Martha Hubbard of
27. Large, shaped, classical with urn in roundel in head, to:
Christopher Bell d.1784. Signed Brown.
28. Shaped, classical with relief trumpeting angel in roundel in head,
to: John Bell d.1783.
29. Shaped, classical with relief winged cherubs head in roundel, to:
Mary the daughter of John and Ann Bell d.1783 aged 19 years.
30. Broad, divided vertically, to: Ann, wife of Christopher Bell
d.1751 and Christopher Bell d.1751.
31. Small,rectangular, to: Elizabeth wife of John Bell d.1772.
32. Small, rectangular with flowing decoration to: Stephen Daft,
d.1753 aged 38 years.
Listing NGR: SK6848635508
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.