If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 241865
OS Grid Reference: SK6753662169
OS Grid Coordinates: 467536, 362169
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1524, -0.9916
Explore more of the area around Eakring, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
EAKRING KIRKLINGTON ROAD
SK 66 SE
7/14 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored and re-seated 1880-81 by
St. Aubyn. Snecked dressed stone with gabled gambrel plain tile
roof. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, coved eaves, coped
gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north porch, north
transept, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, 3
stages, has 2 string courses, moulded eaves with remains of
gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. First
stage has to south east, 2 plain buttresses, single setoff,
engaged with nave. To west, chamfered C13 door with hood mould
and stops. Above, remains of a figure carving and chamfered
single lancet with trefoil head and hood mould. North side has
to east a plain buttress, single setoff. Second stage has 4
restored double lancets with cusped ogee heads. Third stage has
4 double lancet louvred openings, that to west with cusped round
heads and quatrefoil in circle. Clock faces to north, south and
east. Nave, late C13, 4 bays, has on north side, to west, single
buttress, 3 setoffs. 3 restored double lancets, different
patterns, with trefoil heads, chamfered reveals and hood moulds.
South side has similar buttress to west and 3 windows identical
to north side, with re-set mask stop between the eastern pair.
Restored north porch has chamfered pointed north doorway.
Interior has stone benches and C19 moulded collar purlin roof
with arch braces. West side has 2 re-set stone lozenges with
Arms of Elizabeth I, and explanatory brass. Inner north door has
chamfered elliptical head, ashlar quoins and mutilated lintel.
North transept, C19, single bay, late C13 style, has to west
moulded pointed doorway with hood mould. North gable has triple
lancet with trefoil heads, geometrical tracery and intrusive
circle motif. Chancel, early C14, has 2 diagonal buttresses to
east, 3 setoffs. North side has to east, C19 lancet, C13 style,
with trefoil head. East end has quadruple lancet c.1300, with
treofil heads, Y tracery, large trefoil each side, staff-moulded
mullions and reveal and hood mould with stops. South side has 2
restored single lancets, c.1300, with coved and rebated reveals.
South porch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated south
doorway with half-round responds with moulded capitals and bases.
Interior has stone benches and roof similar to north porch.
Inner south door has plain quoins and restored rendered segmental
head. North and south porches have each a pair of wrought iron
spearheaded gates, C19. Outside, 5 unusual C19 shoescrapers
with hand rails. Aisleless nave has to east, chamfered doorway
with hood mould. C19 principal rafter roof with moulded corbels
and large arch braces. Tower arch, C13 double chamfered and
rebated, with half round responds with small moulded bases and
capitals. Tower chamber has west, window with stained glass,
C19. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and
rebated, with hood mould and uncarved stops. Contains 5 bay
traceried panelled oak screen, Perpendicular style, with central
cross and commemorative brass, 1913. Chancel north side has
chamfered opening with heavy chamfered timber lintel and struts
on moulded corbels, containing organ. North side has single and
south side, 2, stained glass windows by Alexander Gibbs of
London, c.1880, all dedicated to William Mompesson. East end has
keeled sill band, panelled, carved and crested oak reredos by C.
H. Bond, Rector 1915-36. East window has stained glass 1878.
South side has to east, carved and panelled seat in window recess
by C. H. Bond. Unusual C19 principal rafter roof with large arch
braces to collars and inverted arch braces above them, and large
scissor type wind braces. Fittings include ashlar font dated
1674 with octagonal plinth, base and stem and coved octagonal
bowl. C19 cover. Panelled and chip carved octagonal pulpit,
c.1674, on octagonal ashlar base. Chip carved back panel,
Renaissance Revival style, with carved round headed opening.
Matching carved octagonal sounding board with carved panels with
half round cutouts, multiple ball drops, reeded frieze and
dentillated cornice. Timber column poor box with moulded base,
chamfered stem, iron fittings and panelled front inscribed
'Remember the poor 1718'. C19 iron bound poor box on shaped
bracket. 4 panelled oak benches with shaped ends, early C18.
Chamfered and moulded oak benches, 1880. Early C19 stool with 4
turned legs. 2 shaped traceried panelled clergy desks and 4
panelled oak stalls, late C19. Double sided oak lectern, late
C19, with bracketed cross foot and carved square stem. 2 framed
boards with lists of Rectors. Board referring to re-seating,
1880. Brass referring to fitting of clock, 1887. Monuments
include decayed early C18 sandstone and slate wall monument
crudely repainted C20, with panel in moulded frame, apron with
winged skull, flanking floral drops with cherub heads, cornice,
and above, Achievement of Arms with floral swags. To Rowland,
Margaret and John Dand. Marble and slate tablet, 1856. War
memorial brass, 1918. Brasses 1670, 1708, c.1880 and 1937.
Listing NGR: SK6753662169
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.