Description: Rufford Abbey Sawmill and Adjoining Outbuildings
Date Listed: 28 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 241941
OS Grid Reference: SK6474265543
OS Grid Coordinates: 464742, 365543
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1831, -1.0326
RUFFORD RUFFORD LANE
SK 66 NW
2/91 Rufford Abbey Saw-
mill and adjoining
Sawmill. c.1740. Adjoining outbuildings later C18 and C19. Now
offices and dwelling. Brick. Ashlar dressings. Hipped and
gabled slate, plain and patterned tile roofs. Partial rendered
brick and ashlar plinths. Quoins with chamfered rustication.
Moulded brick and dentillated eaves. Moulded ashlar cornice and
pediment, coped parapet. 2 storeys, 1/3/1 bays, central block
with flanking wings at right angles. Windows are glazing bar
sashes with panelled moulded architraves. South front has
central projecting pedimented bay with central blocked and
keystoned round headed opening, flanked by single blocked
windows. Return angle to right has single sash. To right, wheel
opening with segmental head. Above, central sash flanked by
single blocked windows, and to west, a single sash. C19 wing, to
right, has to east 4 sashes with keystoned architraves, flanked
by single glazed doors with overlights. Beyond, to right,
another sash. Above, 6 sashes, and to right, blocked opening.
Coped north gable has central double doorway with keystoned
architrave, and above, pair of glazed doors flanked by single
glazing bar lights. West side has 6 sashes on each floor.
Rebuilt C19 addition, to left, single bay, has to south a
casement. Single storey C19 addition to left again, has to north
link to west wing with doorway with segmental head. Main range
has to north, projecting pedimented central bay with central
doorway with chamfered rusticated keystoned architrave and pair
of part glazed panelled doors with overlight. To left, 2 sashes
and to right, C20 door and double door in altered window opening.
Above, 6 sashes. Rebuilt addition, to right, has 2 doors with
segmental heads and above, 2 C20 casements. Addition to right
again has a casement and a pair of garage doors. West wing, C18,
re-roofed and extended C19, L-plan, has 2 gable and single ridge
stacks. West side has 3 doors and 3 casements, all with
segmental heads. Above, a casement and 3 glazing bar sashes.
South front has C20 door and above, to right, a sash. East side
has 5 sashes and 3 doors, all with segmental heads. Above, to
left, 3 sashes with segmental heads, various sizes, and to right,
3 square headed sashes. North end has off centre doorway flanked
to left by 2 and to right by single sashes with segmental heads.
Above, 2 sashes, that to left with segmental head. Adjoining
brick boundary wall, 15M long, has triangular ashlar coping.
Adjoining small outbuildings are of no special interest. Mill
interior has undershot iron waterwheel and pit gears.
Listing NGR: SK6474265543
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.