If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary of the Purification
Date Listed: 11 August 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 242060
OS Grid Reference: SK5856655631
OS Grid Coordinates: 458566, 355631
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0947, -1.1269
Explore more of the area around Blidworth, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
SK 55 NE BLIDWORTH MAIN STREET
1/4 Church of St.Mary
of the Purification
Parish church. C15, west nave and south aisle rebuilt 1739, east
part of the south aisle and chancel re-erected 1839. Ashlar.
Lead roofs. Single ridge cross to east chanel. Tower, nave,
south aisle, south porch, south outbuilding, south vestry with
porch and chancel. Restored C15 tower set on a deep chamfered
plinth of 2 stages and embattled with single pinnacle at each
angle. The west side has a single pair of arched lights with a
single similar pair above. Each side of the belfry has a single
pair of arched openings now glazed. Above, on the west and east
sides are single clock faces. Embattled north wall with 4 C17
round arched windows each with architrave surround, imposts and
keystone. The windows alternate with 5 small C14 carved heads.
The east wall is set on a chamfered plinth with embattled east
chancel having a single projecting bay with single arched window
with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. The
south wall is set on a chamfered plinth. South vestry has a
gabled porch with pediment formed in the gable. Round arched C17
doorway with architrave surround, imposts andkeystone, now part
blocked and with single fixed light. In the re-entrant angle, to
the right, is an arched doorway. To the left of the porch are 5
C17 round arched windows each with architrave surround, imposts
andkeystone. Gabled south porch set on a chamfered plinth with
slate roof and single ridge cross. Pediment formed in the gable.
Restored round arched entrance with architrave surround imposts
and keystone. Inner similar doorway. To the left of the south
aisle and set back is an outbuilding with arched doorway with
keystone, to the left is a single pointed arched opening with
metal grille and further left the remains of a coffin slab with
decoratively carved C13 cross. The west wall has a single small
rectangular opening. The embattled clerestory has 6 pairs of
arched windows. Interior. 5 bay 1739 nave arcade, Tuscan
columns with chamfered arches and keystones. Doorway to tower.
In the chancel is a doorway to the vestry. C18 panelled west
gallery. C18 panelling to walls below sill level. C15 octagonal
ashlar font with panels decorated with blind, mainly panel,
tracery, set on a pedestal and with C20 cover. Early C19 pulpit
transferred from Southwell Minster, c,1900, decorated with blind
tracery, fleuron, crockets and carved heads. There is a C17
chest and 2 chairs with carved backs. C19 pews. Panelled
reredos with 8 C17 panels decorated with foliate carving set into
decorative arches, transerred from Southwell Minster. There is a
meorial to William Bilbie, 1787, surmounting the inscription is a
draped urn. That to Joseph Bilbie, 1747, has an arched head with
foliate strips flanking the inscription. William Bilbie, 1777,
by Christopher Theakston of Doncaster, this is topped with an
urn, the apron is decorated with a shield. Alabaster monument to
T. Leake, 1608, surround to the inscription decorated with a
horn, skull, arrows, deer's head and other trappings of a
Sherwood Forest Ranger. Over all is a decorative shaped head.
There are a number of C19 memorials and a monument to those who
died in the 1914-18 war. In the single central south window is
stained glass by Mayer & Co. of Munich and London, 1874. There
is a hymn board with KingDavid crudely painted on the reverse by
Listing NGR: SK5856655631
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.